Gibson Brands Forums

EPI SG PICKUP UPGRADE! WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

gearhead

Ok, so I've had this 2007 Epiphone G400 for a few years, rarely played it, sounded horrible for the music I play.

But I love SG necks. My first REAL guitar was a 1965 Gibson SG Special.

I purchased a set of Gibson 490R-498T pickups from a guy who pulled them from a 2003 LP, for $60 for the set.

MANY MANY people dislike these in the LP, say they are too bright. And I can believe that considering the maple cap on the body.

So I pulled the crap Epi pickups and put these in and all I can say is WOW!

What a difference! They are brighter, but it really opened up the tone, and it has that famous SG "growl".

And great for solo's. Cuts through pretty well. They are kind of microphonic, but not prone to bad squealing feedback like a lot of Epi pu I've had.

I'm planning on upgrading the pots to CTS and the switch & jack to Switchcraft.

Would have to say it plays and sounds as good as any Gibson SG I have played.

So, to the younger players, don't be afraid to try different things on your guitar, especially if you don't like the tone,

but like the feel of the guitar. Could be as simple as a pickup swap. Just do some research, and keep in mind the

materials the guitar is made of, because it does affect the tone.

MANY MANY people dislike these in the LP, say they are too bright. And I can believe that considering the maple cap on the body.

In my flea bitten opinion, probably one of the more versatile combinations of pickups you can find short of the classic 57/57+ which I find insanely delish! Glad you've found a match for the SG, and for 60 bucks,, yea man - that's a GREAT score!

Rock on!

Archived