Gibson Brands Forums

Rip Johnny Hallyday and listen to this LP too !

lolo_guitar

hi

a sad lost for the great rock singer Johnny Hallyday (74y old)

the real big star, the best singer and the only one in France who reached all the highest levels in concert, with the fans, with the songs, with the cd-lp, with the imagination for the concerts

to always be there through the years

the attitude, the recognition to the public, the fans

the emotions in the way he sang, the rock attitude every time and so nice and shy in real life

the immortal

he sent so much strength in the way he sang it was so powerful and always with great guitarists

he had many guitars and he liked very much the guitar heroes

nobody will reach this : almost 1000 songs even if Charles Aznavour is older than him

he was the boss who played with all the great musicians ever (except Satriani and the shredders)

From his beginning in 1960, look at all the great guitarists he played with

i remember some persons

- he had Jimi Hendrix in the first part of his concert

- He played with Mick Jones and Tommy Brown (the drummer) and after that Mick created Foreigner in 1976 if i remember

- Look at a video in TARATATA best musical show ever made ? ! (100% live)

he made a cover with Lou Gramm and Mick: "hey joe" with Robin Le Mesurier and the others

he played in Las Vegas too

-He also played with Jimmy Page for one old song or more 'à tout casser"

- he played with Sambora, Frampton, Chris Rea for a cd, Luther Allison in concert and many years from 1994 to 2017

-with Robin Le Mesurier who played with Rod Stewart too in the 80's before

-with Brian Setzer many times

-with Tony Joe white, Emmylou Harris, The Stray cats, Carl Perkins in 1984 in a wonderful record session

-Brian Ray (Paul's guitarist)

-Phil Palmer (who played with CLapton, Knopfler and many more) , dean Parks, Tim Pierce

- With all the great guitarists here: Paul Personne (the Lp lover ! so blues) Norbert Krief, Thibault Abrial, Jean-Jacques Goldman,

Yarol Poupaud, Louis Bertignac (guitar hero here)and other less famous but very good like in 1979 one guy with his SG who played some very good rock guitar solo (live at pavillon de PAris for example)

I don't forget

On the bass: Phil Soussan, Reggie Hamilton

you might not know PAganotti, Jannick Top (MAGMA), C.Padovan

On the drums : Richard Hayward, Manu Katché, ian Wallace, Abraham Laboriel Junior (who plays with Paul MAcCartney)

Walfredo Reyes Jf on the drums from Santana's band

Carlos Vega and Steve Ferrone (great drummer who played with Clapton and many more like Cyndi Lauper)

and some french drummers you may don't know like CHristophe Deschamps and his son too.

On the keyboards: Chuck Leavel, Bill Payne, Timothy J. Moore

He also played with Amy Keys and the horns of the Phil Collins' band Like Harry Kim

He sang many songs like Johnny be good, thirty days, whole lotta shaking goin' on

tutti frutti : all were his idols

the rock hits in the 50's but his rock sound changed with the years

from the yé yé to hippie to rock-hard rock to the blues music, soul music, ballads

he gave all what he had to give on stage: look some videos in youtube , it's very powerful !

he idol was ELvis (he was the french Elvis like the NY times said)

A strong man, an amazing voice and presence :rolleyes: with millions of fans through the years

a nice man

a legend with all the excess : a star now

Look at this old video : a duet

and Paul Personne had a great sound that i would like to have one day with a LP

a standard ? !! or just something more expensive

a traditional lp ?

the sound is so warm

the guitar solo was improvisation

From his beginning in 1960, look at all the great guitarists he played with

i remember some persons....

- he played with Sambora, Frampton, Chris Rea for a cd, Luther Allison in concert and many years from 1994 to 2017

-with Robin Le Mesurier who played with Rod Stewart too in the 80's before

-with Brian Setzer many times

-with Tony Joe white, Emmylou Harris, The Stray cats, Carl Perkins in 1984 in a wonderful record session

-Brian Ray (Paul's guitarist)

-Phil Palmer (who played with CLapton, Knopfler and many more) , dean Parks, Tim Pierce....

Sorry to hear that! Actually, I hadn't heard of Hallyday until he was mentioned in an interview with my old bandmate, Brian Ray....

As of 1996, Brian was 'lost in France' so to say, for about five years, playing with big French artists like
Mylene Farmer
and
Johnny Hallyday
. How did that come about?

Brian%20Ray-JH.JPG

Brian
: 'A French guy called Philippe, who lives in California and who serves as a liaison between French artists and American musicians, came to one of my shows and asked me if I were interested in auditioning for
Mylene Farmer
. I got the audition and also on that job, the drummer who got the audition, was
Abe Laboriel Jr
.' In 1998, after finishing working with Mylene Farmer, both Brian and Abe auditioned for French Rock 'n' Roll legend
Johnny Hallyday

Brian
: 'I just love Johnny. He's a very sweet guy. I've done a couple of records with him. He and I have a very good relationship and I really like him and respect him.' Johnny Hallyday is at the top of his game in France since the early 1960's and he has the image of being this really cool guy who is not easily impressed.

Brian
: 'He really is that cool.' When touring, Hallyday always includes several covers of well-known rocksongs in his set list. One of them being
Got To Get You Into My Life
. Being contemporaries, you might expect that sometime during their careers, Johnny Hallyday and Paul McCartney, could have met. And according to Brian, they actually have.

'Paul and Johnny met back in 1966 or 1967.'
Abe Laboriel Jr.
left Johnny Hallyday's band for a job with US singer
k.d. lang
. Then one day Brian got a call from Abe saying that he was doing Paul McCartney's new record.

'I was totally blown away,'
says Brian. 'Abe was at my birthday party and I asked him who's gonna play bass in the band when Paul plays guitar and who's gonna play guitar when Paul plays bass? And Abe said that they were looking for someone and I literally put my right hand up in the air and said that I would like a shot at that.'

A week or two later Brian got a call from 'Driving Rain' producer
David Kahne
to come to his office. Brian and David talked a bit and Brian played some guitar and promised to put his name forward. The next day Brian got another call asking his him of he could be on a plane to New Orleans the next day to play with Paul McCartney on the
Super Bowl 2002

'And that was basically the audition,' Brian says. And since he was not working with Johnny Hallyday, having finished touring with him in 2001, Brian was free to embark on yet another musical adventure.

Yes, RIP, Johnny Hallyday.

His songs were being played on France Inter radio programme a lot yesterday - which some claimed was fairly hypocritical of them as they never played his music when he was alive...

And Paul Personne should be MUCH better known in the guitarists' world. Quite the LP player.

Pip.

Archived