Gibson Brands Forums

Output jack not seating cable

Ron37388

I just picked up my Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Traditional PRO-II Electric Guitar Desert Burst and a new cable. When I plug in the cable it does not fit tight enough. I tried a cable I've been using with my Fender Strat and it is loose also. This causes the cable to move in and out of a connection which really makes a loud feedback through the amp, not counting the fact that I loose all connection to the amp. It seems like the "no-slip" spring tension is not right. Anyone else experience this problem? I bought it from Guitar Center. I really don't want to ship it back to Gibson. Do you think GC could fix this? Thanks for any info.

I just picked up my Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Traditional PRO-II Electric Guitar Desert Burst and a new cable. When I plug in the cable it does not fit tight enough. I tried a cable I've been using with my Fender Strat and it is loose also. This causes the cable to move in and out of a connection which really makes a loud feedback through the amp, not counting the fact that I loose all connection to the amp. It seems like the "no-slip" spring tension is not right. Anyone else experience this problem? I bought it from Guitar Center. I really don't want to ship it back to Gibson. Do you think GC could fix this? Thanks for any info.

You don't have to ship it back to Gibson, there are numerous warranty service centers: http://www.gibson.co...ce-Centers.aspx .Or you could take it back to GC and see if they'd fix it, sometimes they have techs who might be able to handle this..

Maybe/maybe not related, but before you do anything, take off the cover on the input jack, and use some pliers to "tighten up" the connection. You may find your "problem" solved. I found this out the hard way years after leaving the p/u selector switch in anything other than the "neutral" position. If not, it seems like a simple fix that any qualified tech couldn't solve. GC? Maybe, maybe not...

Maybe/maybe not related, but before you do anything, take off the cover on the input jack, and use some pliers to "tighten up" the connection. You may find your "problem" solved. I found this out the hard way years after leaving the p/u selector switch in anything other than the "neutral" position. If not, it seems like a simple fix that any qualified tech couldn't solve. GC? Maybe, maybe not...

Thanks for all the advise. I took it to GC tonight and they fixed it. All they had to do was pinch the inside contact bars a little. You were right on what it needed. I'm no expert on these guitars so I thought it best to let a pro work on it. Guitar Center is an authorized repair center for Gibson products. I also found out I better not leave a cable plugged in to the guitar. It will drain the 9v battery real quick. I learn something new every day.

Ron: good choice. I have a rule: if it's under warranty and it's not something I'm sure I'm comfortable doing, I have THEM do it, and I watch how it's done.

Guitar setup and maintenance, you'll come to find out, is pretty easy - I'm one of the least handy persons on the planet, and I find it fairly easy. But everything's daunting when you're new to it, and the smart approach in the beginning is better safe than sorry. Well, that's what I think, anyway.

I also found out I better not leave a cable plugged in to the guitar. It will drain the 9v battery real quick. I learn something new every day.

Well that's one reason to not keep a cable plugged in.

The other is to simply avoid disaster.. if your guitar is sitting on a stand, plugged in somewhere, and some one trips over the cable and the guitar winds up bouncing off your floor. Head-stocks on guitars like Les Pauls can snap very easily.

anyway,, not to be a buzz kill..

so..

Enjoy the playin!

Ron: good choice. I have a rule: if it's under warranty and it's not something I'm sure I'm comfortable doing, I have THEM do it, and I watch how it's done.

Guitar setup and maintenance, you'll come to find out, is pretty easy - I'm one of the least handy persons on the planet, and I find it fairly easy. But everything's daunting when you're new to it, and the smart approach in the beginning is better safe than sorry. Well, that's what I think, anyway.

Two things. First, all my new guitars go to the tech during the warranty period, one for an initial setup and two to look for any "future" issues that may arise that I'm not smart enough to see.

Second: (To Pinch's point) Dan Erlewines book is worth every penny:

https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Player-Repair-Guide-3rd-ebook/dp/B002BLZ6GE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512770123&sr=8-1&keywords=dan+erlewine+guitar+player+repair+guide

Two things. First, all my new guitars go to the tech during the warranty period, one for an initial setup and two to look for any "future" issues that may arise that I'm not smart enough to see.

Second: (To Pinch's point) Dan Erlewines book is worth every penny:

https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Player-Repair-Guide-3rd-ebook/dp/B002BLZ6GE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512770123&sr=8-1&keywords=dan+erlewine+guitar+player+repair+guide

Thanks for the info. I ordered the book. I've set up my Fender Strat but you can never have to many reference guides. I've never worked with any Gibson brand. I must say, I like the tone and feel better than my Strat. They are two different guitars for two different types of music.

Archived