Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Genesis 1979-1981 production SR#s

Dave C

Hello all, I've been looking at the serial numbers of Epiphone Genesis serial numbers for the Taiwanese production between 1979 and 1981 that I've found on the internet and on eBay, and for the 7 digit numbers I may have figured out what they mean. So the numbers can be divided up as MM/Y/RRRR. A number like 1190378 would mean November, 1979 production, and the 378th guitar produced that month. In all the cases I've looked at the first two digits are 01 through 12 and the third digit is 9, 0, or 1.

I would like to hear from you guys that own early Genesises with 7 digit SR#s to see if this holds for your guitars.

Thanks,

Hello all, I've been looking at the serial numbers of Epiphone Genesis serial numbers for the Taiwanese production between 1979 and 1981 that I've found on the internet and on eBay, and for the 7 digit numbers I may have figured out what they mean. So the numbers can be divided up as MM/Y/RRRR. A number like 1190378 would mean November, 1979 production, and the 378th guitar produced that month. In all the cases I've looked at the first two digits are 01 through 12 and the third digit is 9, 0, or 1.

I would like to hear from you guys that own early Genesises with 7 digit SR#s to see if this holds for your guitars.

Thanks,

My Genny has a 7 digit SN 029xxxx your guess on the SN format looks OK to me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The setial # theory sounds correct.....I have a Genisis Custom # 0710295....makes it August 1981 and the 295th one produced....they were listed  on the net from Gibson as produced  from 1979-81......That 1982 # poster earlier is very odd.....but there are always exceptions to the golden rule....go figure. 

Edited by ITSCOOLMAN
Spelling and added words

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello there

I to have a Epiphone Gennisis with on the back 7 digits.

My serial nr is 0900163 

So the numbers can be divided up as MM/Y/RRRR.

A number like 09/0/0163 would mean  September , 1980 production, and the 163th guitar produced that month.

Corrrect me if i am wrong please 

Henry Horn

I

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2022 at 10:56 AM, Henry Horn said:

Hello there

I to have a Epiphone Gennisis with on the back 7 digits.

My serial nr is 0900163 

So the numbers can be divided up as MM/Y/RRRR.

A number like 09/0/0163 would mean  September , 1980 production, and the 163th guitar produced that month.

Corrrect me if i am wrong please 

Henry Horn

I

I know mine is a 79 but my first 2 serial numbers are 00 so that isn't going to work. I read that the Japanese were terrible at logging serial numbers so you won't find anything by the serial numbers.