Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Gibson L 50

GDC

Bought a 1936 L 50 at Carter's Vintage this week. I've never owned an archtop, nor even played one outside of a store before now. This one has a fairly good tone but still has some of that archtop twang. Not the sort of guitar I'm used to, but I really liked it so I bought it.

Congrats.

I have tried to make peace with Gibson archtops for decades. I truly have. I do own a Depression-Era Special - a 1935 Capital J-2 - but when it comes to archtops I have had to accept the undeniable fact that I am an Epiphone kind of guy. Yeah, I know - Burn The Witch.

We love variety, and we love to mix it up tonally. We have lots of flat tops, but we also have a fair number of archtops too. We love to mix it up and hear what happens. We have a 1936 L-4 round hole that was probably in the factory as the same time as yours.

Congratulations and welcome to our secret society.

• 4 weeks later...

The old L-50 has a sound of it's own. I have a '37 Black Special #4, don't play it a lot, but everyone who has, wanted to buy it from me.

The old beast has a huge neck, but plays very well after all these years. It needs some attention, was abused before I ever got it, but still plays.

A testament to the quality of woods and craftsmanship that went into the early Gibsons.

Congrats on your L-50!

msp_thumbup.gif

The old L-50 has a sound of it's own. I have a '37 Black Special #4, don't play it a lot, but everyone who has, wanted to buy it from me.

The old beast has a huge neck, but plays very well after all these years. It needs some attention, was abused before I ever got it, but still plays.

A testament to the quality of woods and craftsmanship that went into the early Gibsons.

Congrats on your L-50!

msp_thumbup.gif

I too have a Black Special #4, but it seems I am the only one with photos, so/.......

CbY9fH7h.jpg

E3ezR6wh.jpg

BluesKing777.

Last year a guy was working overtime trying to sell me a late 1930s Gibson L-12. One of the last of the X braced carved top Gibsons. These were pretty much an art deco version of the L-7 and are one of the harder to find Gibson arctops. In great condition and even came with its original case. Every time I backed away he would drop the price. Thing was while it had a great mid-range punch the upper end still sounded brittle.

Archived