Gibson Brands Forums

Austin

uncle fester

Hey Folks,

Just a recap - i started to look for a Gibson, and just over the last couple days came to the realization if you want the opportunity to try out a bunch - there's a few hot spots you should travel to.

Bring us to today - I have traveled for work once in the last 7 yrs, and today, i just scored a trip to Austin mid Jan (literally today at noon i got the request, and approval to go!). The curse of the corporate gods has finally worked in my favor... I worked for a big fish, that got bought by a bigger fish and now corp HQ is down in Texas. Probably only get one trip out of it, but that's all i should need.

On another thread, i've got input on places to go in Denver and Nashville, but i have to believe there's got to be one or two in the Austin area. (double freakin' awesome!)

Anyways - i've got a 2 fold guitar mission:

1) Try out h bird pro and songwriter cutaways, really compare rosewood to mahogany - and choose what i want (for later purchase)

2) Find a traditional hummingbird or J45 (no cutaway) to come home with

The wife said no problem as long as i don't put debt on the credit card. I'm only getting to go to Austin once, I guess I'll have to say sorry for that one :)

With all this fish gobbling up going on sounds like some bad JuJu in the neighborhood. I would think twice about buying a guitar when you can't get your mojo working.

Sounds like he's got his mojo workin', 'Woof, but it just don't work on you. That's ok, 'cause it's obviously working on his sig other, and she's cool with two guitars ultimately coming into the house.

BillRoy- so glad you're looking to get the 'Bird Standard first. Have a great trip next month in Austin.

Hope you get to handle an array of new and vintage in what is one of the true 'guitar towns'. High high retail prices in those music shops, though. Make a note of the price ranges, then go back and look online.

Don't forget, if you like the way a guitar sounds when you play it, see if you can get a floor salesperson to play it for you so you can get a fix on how it sounds when you are the audience.

Been to Austin twice. Love the town.

Don't bother with a South Austin Guitars unless you want a cool T-shirt. Not a lot of Acoustic inventory.

Try Guitar Resurrection.

I'd email them and ask to see their inventory stock list. Tell them you are coming to town and want to sample some nice Gibby acoustics.

http://www.guitarrez...bsonacpage.html

Been to Austin twice. Love the town.

Don't bother with a South Austin Guitars unless you want a cool T-shirt. Not a lot of Acoustic inventory.

Try Guitar Resurrection.

I'd email them and ask to see their inventory stock list. Tell them you are coming to town and want to sample some nice Gibby acoustics.

http://www.guitarrez...bsonacpage.html

I live in the Austin area. I second Guitar Resurrection (guitarez.com). I have bought quite a bit of gear from them over the years, including my 2004 Antique Natural ES -335 Dot Reissue and '67 SG Special Reissue w/P-90s (GOW). They have an extensive inventory of Gibsons (electric and acoustic) and quite a few used/consignment models. You won't find any "gonga" deals, but I have always found their prices to be competitive/reasonable on all their gear. They are my local go-to shop.

Another option is Austin Vintage Guitars. I went there a few times when they were at their old location, but not since they moved to their new location awhile back. And I have never done business with them so I can't comment about their reputation and/or prices.

Good luck with your search.

So a days worth of deliberation and reading the input. Guitar rez is definitely on the list - already been emailing back and forth w/ them (Thanks for the tips).

...and though i've got the ok to come home with 2 guitars, i believe it's too much of good thing. Not looking for twins - i want one place to focus all my attention, really get a chance to feel what i end up with, and the immediate need is a cut away. So when down in Austin my goal is going to look for Songwriters, Hbird Pros, and maybe a C100 or two - and hopefully find one to come home with.

That does not mean i don't want a non - cutaway... thanks in part to this forum (and if there's any gibson marketing people on - you got me), that urge is still there and stronger than ever. So i've come up with a plan B to get one of those. If the gods are smiling, I'll come home with a cutaway next month - but here's the good part - in a year and a half, will take 3 months off with the family for the summer w/ the family and roadtrip across the country to all the big places (nashville, denver, CA) and see if i can come home w/ a J45 or Hummingbird.

it's a pipe dream, can't see how i could ever get the time/money, looks like the thermostat stays on 50F this winter and probably have to give up eating for a little bit to do it... but for now that's my plan, and the wife is excited about it to. Will check in tomorrow after i deliberate and flip flop some more.

=====

In Austin - anyone have recommendations on where to go for live music?

I've only been a couple of times - Stubbs Amphitheater and BBQ to see Rodrigo y Gabriela and - the best bet given the hit or miss quality of performers slated for this mostly outdoors venue in mid-January, just stroll up and down Sixth Street. You can pick and choose which beer soaked musical establishment interests you.

Very nice, and again thanks for the input, taking notes - in all i'll have 5-6 nights in all to search out guitar shops and check out music. if all goes well and i'm lucky enough to find something, might try my hand at an open mic night. I'll do it loud and proud with a new git, wearing a whole bunch of boston gear... in texas right in the middle of playoff football season. if it doesn't go well - i'll blame it on the boston gear ;0

Music places....

The Continental, as mentioned.

The Broken Spoke, too!

The Paramount Theatre

6th Street is great for people watching and looking inside everywhere there is music, but, the places off of 6th Street like the Continental and the Broken Spoke are absolutely awesome music places as is The Paramount Theatre if someone is playing there. And, then, just about every place else as there is music basically everywhere.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I think I would have a hard time trying to judge new guitars in the showroom setting. You definitely have to get to a small room to play each one A to B to C and hope the strings are good on each. Then you'd have to try and correct for the 'new' maybe stiff tone and feel, trying to project into the future how it may mellow. That's a serious amount of money in the acoustic market, vintage or otherwise. Into the mix of Gibson dreads I'd have to throw a pre-62 (or new) D28. The Martin contrast is notable and I think helps re-attune the ear.

Oh, sweet blasphemy!

So my goal should be to land something I keep forever, but i guess i need to understand it's just as important to get something that will retain it's value (going in with the understanding it will really take time to know the guitar) and if after getting a chance kick it's tires- I decide it's not exactly what i want, re-entering the fray wont be too difficult. Helps adjust my thoughts around this whole thing.

by the way - been searching the web, throwing 'vintage' into the search criteria for a guitar sure kicks up the difficulty of finding something. I did find a 1955 J45 I might try and look at, showing wear, but i guess what would you expect

doesn't show a price, but anyone have a ballpark to put it at. my POMA guess is $4000

http://www.southaustinmusic.com/shop/guitars/acoustic-guitars/1955-gibson-j-45/

oh no - a cut away is still a requirement, for the first guitar. --- but in all my research i have really developed a hankerin' for a classic non cutaway dread as well (damn all you forum people and wise knowledge!).

Apologies for the long winded answer - but here is where i'm at:

Guitar #1, cut-away, looking for either a songwriter, hbird pro, or c100 - really trying for used type deal in $1600 range... will pay more for a c100.

Guitar #2, either a vintage hummingbird or J45 - try for $3000 but be prepared for up to $5000

If i'm lucky enough to find and try a c100 and really fall for it, it could be my #1 guitar and satisfy my need for a classic - but before i've played any, i'm only luke warm on the look. Thinking the c100 might not be for me, and having looked at least on ebay and some of the shops in the areas i'll be visiting - songwriters seem to be difficult to come upon (especially since i don't like the fancy neck, i like the basic squared off version) - So i probably will end up with an h-bird pro. A nice guitar, and maybe some day it will be a classic, but it's not one now.

So - guitar #1 meets the need of a cut away, and #2 comes in the picture to fill the need for a classic. When i began this venture, i had clearance for $3k... only over budget by 2.5x. I'm thinking i'm not the first guitar hunter this has happened to.

and i would love to have both in my hands tomorrow, and biting at the bit not to just order them blindly - but i'm taking to heart all the info i've taken in and realistically hoping to have a cutaway by end Jan (post trip to Austin), then i'm prepared to look for a year or two if required for the other. although working the flip flop, it's probably wiser to spend the money now while it's even an option - because life happens, things get more expensive, and chunks of change all of a sudden disappear.

I went to Austin a few years ago on business and did some guitar shopping. I ended up with a custom Collings. By the way - the Collings factory is in Austin and if you have time you might be able to take a tour if that's of any interest.

Back to Gibsons - If you find something you like, go home, call the store up - give them a credit card over the phone or send a check and have them ship it. If you buy it in the store you will have to pay Texas sales tax. If you pretend you were never there and they are shipping outside the state, no sales tax. Its a couple hundred dollars on a guitar that's a couple thousand dollars.

I went to Austin a few years ago on business and did some guitar shopping. I ended up with a custom Collings. By the way - the Collings factory is in Austin and if you have time you might be able to take a tour if that's of any interest.

Back to Gibsons - If you find something you like, go home, call the store up - give them a credit card over the phone or send a check and have them ship it. If you buy it in the store you will have to pay Texas sales tax. If you pretend you were never there and they are shipping outside the state, no sales tax. Its a couple hundred dollars on a guitar that's a couple thousand dollars.

Very nice tip, thank you! (And yes - will see if I can hook up a tour of the Collings' factory, I knew it was down that way - but wasn't aware it was in Austin)

Archived