Gibson Brands Forums: Dating an old SG bass... - Gibson Brands Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dating an old SG bass...

#1 User is offline   Erik The Pope 

• Group: All Access

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:21 PM

I have an old SG bass that I want to date. The serial number is 75164 - early 60's? Two p-u's, treble chrome, neck black, B-W-B-W on the pickguard, 2 volume, 2 tone + a four position switch with the jack positioned to make a hexagon with the vol/tone controls, cherry finish. Any ideas? Thanks!

Erik The Pope

#2 User is offline   Grog 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 09 December 2017 - 12:24 PM

Without pictures it's a bit tough to be certain. My guess would be a 1961-62 EB-3. The six digit serial numbers started in 1963, yours is a five digit. 1961 is the first year the EB-3 was sold. only the earliest had the black Bakelite pickup cover. You can check the pot code to fine tune it a little closer. 1376122 = 137-CTS, 61-1961 & 22-22nd week of the year. It's possible that the pots could be Centralab. The first three digits would be 134. It should have 7 digits, but if it only has 6, 4th digit would represent the year (1=61) and the last 2 would be the week it was manufactured. Gibson guitar pots are usually pretty close to the manufacturing date. Fender was known to buy up large quantities, so the pots could be a couple years older than the guitar. You likely have one of the very earliest EB-3's! Congrats!

#3 User is offline   Erik The Pope 

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:33 PM

I will check the pots when I take it apart to fix up. Unfortunately, it's not in the best shape - scratchy pots, funky switches, etc., but I think it will come out OK. I'll put a pic up soon. Thanks!

Erik The Pope

#4 User is offline   Erik The Pope 

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:49 PM

Tried to put a pic on here but the "insert img" choice was pointing to a URL & attaching it said it was too big so I'm not sure what to do to put a pic here.

Any help? Thanks!

#5 User is offline   Erik The Pope 

Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:02 PM

There's a can (transformer ?) in the electronics hole that has the number GA-90-1C on it. There is also a couple of positions on the switch that have solder in them but no wires but I can't see any loose wires so maybe it is OK. Thanks.

Erik The Pope

#6 User is offline   Grog 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:27 PM

The big can is a choke, it's in all of the EB-3's & the EB-2s. One of the positions on the varitone switch would kick it in, making the sound rather thin. On the EB-2 the effect is called a baritone switch.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users