Gibson Brands Forums

Cleaning solutions

goldtop2

Whats the best "home made" mixture for cleaning the guitar?

Links?

Also has any other members here got a good homegrown recipe for string cleaner to extend string life?

I guess I could buy the cleaning products on the market too. Any good cleaner?

Don't have any homemade recipes for cleaners. I use Virtuoso cleaner and then the polish. It's a little on the expensive side perhaps, but it goes a long way. I bought a 4 oz. bottle of each over 4 years ago and they are still about half full. Safe for Nitro finishes.

I usually spay it onto an area on the back away from the control panel, then use what's left on the cloth to clean the front. There is in most cases enough to do the front. if not, spray a bit more on the cloth.

LZoqzpg.jpg

for cleaning if you're just looking for something easy and mild, some soapy water in a bowl with a cotton rag dampened in the solution should not be a problem for anything. just not TOO wet, dampen only.

for strings cleaning, take a small cotton rag and dampen on corner with rubbing alcohol pinch the strings with the tip of your fingers, then just slide it back and forth. Just try not to make it TOO wet with the rubbing alcohol. Just a bit dampness.. all ya need. you'll see the black gunk lift right off.

Archived