Gibson Brands Forums

removing the bling from a hummingbird

uncle fester

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Everybody, Thanks again for all the input. I believe I've got my plan of action once I finally take the plunge, but will see how that works out when I find my match.

You are welcome!

Another suggestion is to deep dive into the history of Gibson guitars as well as, perhaps the history of its sister company, Epiphone...and guitars in general. And, maybe also the vintage guitar market (through Vintage Guitar Magazine and the Vintage Guitar Price Guide annual books.) and maybe even a vintage guitar show in your travels (and shop talking with vendors at one.) All are quite fascinating as well as things that add to the joys of guitar owning and playing.

Welcome to the shared journey!

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

billroy ! - you simply have to check this one.

https://www.ebay.com...~IAAOSwIVhaIEvU

Did the acoustic lords above set it up just for you. .

It is beautiful isn't it!

I saw it, but was concerned with the 'I think it was an early prototype made for a Gibson employee' - with the big concern being the I think, leading to me wonder if it as actually authentic. Then I realize I'm out of my league - and start looking at things in the 2000 - 2012 range.

1513173083[/url]' post='1899831']

Unfortunately coming from Boston, i just can't purchase a model of anything called 'Country Western' (not that there's anything wrong with it ;). I like the idea of getting an H Bird one with the original pick guard, swap out the original guard for a plain one right now, and store the original for a later date when I either mature and want the h bird guard back on there, or i look to trade in the axe and want to include the original pickguard for the new buyer. Best of all worlds.

No sign of a Beantown Hummingbird then?

ok - really got my interest on this, can anyone give opinions to what they think about authenticity. Sounds like it's too good of a deal for what it is.

Not hard to understand considering what you've told us so far.

The guitar is genuine and there's not much more to say than what can be read in the ad.

You'll get a Hummingbird with a non-bling p-guard as you wanted.

It'll have the attractive tulip tuners and a head-stock-back-decal, which was common in the period.

I haven't played any squares from that era, but my friends J-45 from circa '05 is a very decent guitar. Cannot put a finger on it.

You could write the seller and ask for a sound sample - maybe lucky.

I personally dig this particular burst, which come close to the absolutely cool faded mid-sixties vague pigment cherries.

And notice the historically correct rosette = W-B-W - typically seen on the oldies and the contemporary Vintage versions where Standards run B-W-B.

The missing dot over the logo shouldn't worry you - let's look a few others up from between 2000 and 2006.

You might be able to buy am new Hummingbird Pro at Guitar Center for about the same price. Keep in mind, both the Hummingbird Artist and/or Hummingbird Pro are quite good guitars, they are just not considered actual Hummingbirds, but rather Gibson’s efforts with Guitar Center to capitalize on the Hummingbird name. The Artist and Pro are good guitars, though, maybe great ones, but they are not considered by those in the know to be actual Hummingbirds. The end result being, their resale values are less than the iconic Hummingbird. On the other hand, the cost much less new or in the used market. Personally, I think you might be able to find a used Pro for less than the Artist one on e-bay.

Just stuff to consider.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

It is beautiful isn't it!

I saw it, but was concerned with the 'I think it was an early prototype made for a Gibson employee' - with the big concern being the I think, leading to me wonder if it as actually authentic. Then I realize I'm out of my league - and start looking at things in the 2000 - 2012 range.

That's actually a really cool guitar, and it fits your wish list almost perfectly. It's probably an employee hummingbird without the 'bird pickguard, not a hummingbird artist, which I believe has a slightly different body form. This is a standard 'bird shape. It was probably built for the guy whose name is on the envelope.

That's actually a really cool guitar, and it fits your wish list almost perfectly. It's probably an employee hummingbird without the 'bird pickguard, not a hummingbird artist, which I believe has a slightly different body form. This is a standard 'bird shape. It was probably built for the guy whose name is on the envelope.

This one does fit my wishlist just about perfectly... visually (wish for just a little darker burst to be picky :) - but one of the messages i've heard here is if i can get the opportunity - i should try out a bunch before i jump.

it's killing me though because it does seem like a special one being made for an employee w/o hb guard (and thanks folks for pointing it out!) but i've got to take a few more trips to GC and do a real comparison of J45 to Hbird, and then i'm also fortunate enough to have a trip to houston and austin mid jan. There's a couple cool shops down there i'm excited to stop by, and I'm hoping to also get a chance to try out an AJ

...but i really should just get this one - oooof!

Archived