Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird 2017/2018

MackTheKnife

Hi,

what's up with the crazy price increase for the 2018 hummingbird. They sell for 3500 euros at thomann, while the pre 2018 models used to sell for around 2500.

The only difference between both versions is the finish.

Is that Gibson's strategy to get people to buy all the pre 2018 models? Will Gibson adapt the pricing once the "old" models are sold?

In other words, should I try to get a 2017 model while it's still around?

It seems to be the same every year. Previous model price goes down when new one appears.

I guess within the next months 18' will go down on Thomann as well.

18' is more redish i believe, so it all comes to your liking. And sound wise the best is the one you will try and fall in love with, no matter the year.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

what's up with the crazy price increase for the 2018 hummingbird. They sell for 3500 euros at thomann, while the pre 2018 models used to sell for around 2500.

The only difference between both versions is the finish.

Is that Gibson's strategy to get people to buy all the pre 2018 models? Will Gibson adapt the pricing once the "old" models are sold?

In other words, should I try to get a 2017 model while it's still around?

I can understand you feel surprised & disappointed by those rather higher prices, being kept in mind that's the kind of prices currently running for models of that kind, whether they're Gibsons or Martins and so on.

Anyway,the very most important point in your post is this: should you try to get a 2017 model instead of a 2018? I believe that the very 1st thing to be done is to try it in order to make yourself an opinion which sounds clear, true & reasonable. Try to avoid mail orders as far as possible: nothing would ever sound as real as a guitar you have the actual opportunity to try in a guitar shop, because every guitar is an individual lady of a kind. Besides,please remember the 2018 and the 2017 finish look much different & i sincerely believe that the finish is extremeley important to a guitar player: i would feel unable to play the faintest chord on a guitar which finish looks not attractive to me (I am aware that some people would tell you that finish doesn't matter & the but one thing that matters is the sound; the fact is finish is much important to me & i'm not the only one to think so). What i can suggest you quite honestly is this: when you really feel in love with the guitar you just tried, when it's a love struck or a genuine "coup de coeur" as French people say, then it's okay & the guitar is the right one & she was made just for you; on the other hand when you're not in love with that guitar, then just forget it. Your own individual pair of ears & your eyes will be the first judge in the last resort. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Well worth hunting down and trying a tan case early ‘90s Bird. I have a 1990, having owned an ‘06 and ‘08 previously. The ‘90 is in another league, absolutely wonderful guitar. I’m also lucky enough to own an ‘05 Custom Shop Hummingbird 12 string which is stellar too.

I certainly wouldn’t limit yourself to a new or NOS Bird, buying used you sidestep the depreciation and the guitar already has some miles on it so less breaking in time.

I have bought new and used Birds. If you are the type that has no problem buying online, by all means there are tons of used 1 year old Birds for fairly good pricing on Reverb.

I recently bought a 99 that way. Good luck!

BTW... Jinder. Do you find your early 90s Bird is Heavy? I find my 99 to be noticeably heavier than my departed Hummingbird Vintage, and my D18. It makes for a really unique guitar tone.

Archived