Gibson Brands Forums

Sigma LG2 copy...VERY cool little guitar

Jinder

When I dropped my Dove off for fettling at the weekend, I spied one of the new Sigma models on the wall, an LGM-SG2...basically a copy of an LG2, but with lam mahogany back and sides and a 1 3/4” nut.

To say I was impressed would be a massive understatement. I absolutely loved the thing and would have bought it on the spot if I had the ready cash. Great feel and tone, and ridiculous value for money. They’re around £450 out the door with a Fishman Sonitone factory fitted.

Has anyone else tried one of these?

I looked the guitar up. As far as I can figure Sigma guitars are not currently licensed for sale in the U.S. Kindred guitars, which I gather are re-badged AMI Sigmas, were available here but it is hard to figure out what has gone on with them. Their Facebook page is downright scary and none too reassuring.

I looked the guitar up. As far as I can figure Sigma guitars are not currently licensed for sale in the U.S. Kindred guitars, which I gather are re-badged AMI Sigmas, were available here but it is hard to figure out what has gone on with them. Their Facebook page is downright scary and none too reassuring.

Hmm I’ll see what I can find out about that...Sigma is a very popular brand here in the UK, several players I know use them as gigging instruments and report well on them. Up until recently they’ve mainly produced Martin copies (under license I believe, at least if not now then previously, with Sigma being a sort of Epiphone to Martin’s

Gibson) but now seem to be branching out into Gibson “inspired” designs.

I’ve been very impressed with their Martin style models and even more so by the LG2-alike I tried. Very few midrange guitars fire me up (my Texan aside) but this was excellent.

Martin discontinued the Sigma line years back. This is a different Sigma company. The story I heard is Martin, erroneously, forgot, years back, to legally terminate their exclusive right to distribute the old Sigma brand in the US that they once owned, which now impacts the new Sigma company’s brand from being distributed in the US unless they utilize a different name for their product. Thus, no new brand Sigmas can be distributed in the US unless the new company settles up with buys the name distribution rights in the US from Martin. Apparently, when Martin disbanded their ownership and distribution rights to the Sigma brand worldwide years ago, to get out of the Sigma business, a mistake of sorts happened with their inadvertently not releasing their rights to Sigma’d distribution in the US. Or something similar. Thus, apparently unplanned, no new brand Sigmas can be distributed in the US by the new company that restarted the brand name, unless they settle up or buy the US rights from Martin.

That’s my understanding.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

You made me look jinder

My friend has my old old sigma 45 copy , which was a great laminate guitar .......

But I just did some noseying and ...

Ended up discovering that sigma have such a thing as a ‘SDM18’

Which is a D18 copy , but the ‘S’ Stands for solid

As in solid back and sides !!

£650 .... what’s the catch here ?

S might stand for shite?

Get what u pay for...etc.etc. I have my '59 LG3 that is joyous and my Maton 808 is the same size with deep body and the best pickup in the world, so don't need a Sigma unless I need firewood.

I have seen them at a local music shop and just looked them up for you - they have everything except the model you said, but in the shop the ones at the bottom of this list get some head turns, let me tell you:

https://www.acousticcentre.com.au/search?type=product&q=sigma

BluesKing777.

S might stand for shite?

Get what u pay for...etc.etc. I have my '59 LG3 that is joyous and my Maton 808 is the same size with deep body and the best pickup in the world, so don't need a Sigma unless I need firewood.

I have seen them at a local music shop and just looked them up for you - they have everything except the model you said, but in the shop the ones at the bottom of this list get some head turns, let me tell you:

https://www.acousticcentre.com.au/search?type=product&q=sigma

BluesKing777.

I’m not being rude BK and you know I love ya , but it sounds like you’re poo pooing it from the off

Sure a Martin D18 is a godlike instrument.

But an all solid replica for that price is kinda cool and I’d be very interested to hear any reports .. while sigma aren’t the kings of guitar world they aren’t atrocious.

Someone here mustve played one ?

I did own a Kindred Martin 15 series knockoff about 2 years ago. It was really a perfect gigging guitar if you replaced their pickup with a k&k. However, looks are where it stopped. It looked like an 000-15. It did not have that sound though; it was a thinner sound. And it didn't have that smell. It lasted about a month or two.

https://reverb.com/item/1318647-kindred-000-mc-15e-2015-mahogany

Sold it....

Those of you with 15 series Martins know the smell I speak of.

I did own a Kindred Martin 15 series knockoff about 2 years ago. It was really a perfect gigging guitar if you replaced their pickup with a k&k. However, looks are where it stopped. It looked like an 000-15. It did not have that sound though; it was a thinner sound. And it didn't have that smell. It lasted about a month or two.

https://reverb.com/item/1318647-kindred-000-mc-15e-2015-mahogany

Sold it....

Those of you with 15 series Martins know the smell I speak of.

Yeah I’ve one it’s great little guitar

Was it a sigma you had Sal and was it all solid woods ?

I’m not being rude BK and you know I love ya , but it sounds like you’re poo pooing it from the off

Sure a Martin D18 is a godlike instrument.

But an all solid replica for that price is kinda cool and I’d be very interested to hear any reports .. while sigma aren’t the kings of guitar world they aren’t atrocious.

Someone here mustve played one ?

I don’t know, I think you are very rude - specially as I am trying to talk you down from the fever, but you know, do what you like! <_<

So why do you want a cheap copy, solid or not, when you have your beautiful guitars?

I have NOT played one and I am not going to unless I hit the broke side, and where are all the guitar company lawyers with these? Seriously, if you are a broke student dying to learn guitar, go for it, made just for you to get a better start than I, depending on......setup, but why go for one when you have such nice guitars already..... which ARE hard enough to get good ones and a good setup......

Simple...GAS!

I suppose you could be lucky with getting a good one, but when you need to sell it, valueless!

Just saying!

BluesKing777.

It was the 000-MC-15E. Hog top. Laminated back and sides. Sonitone pickup. Frets needs adjusting when I bought it. Very comfortable guitar. If I remember I paid for it over $500 new... and frankly you can get a mint used 000-15 for $700. In my opinion my purchase was foolish.

It does not sound as rich as a Martin. And I bet anything the Gibson knockoffs fall short too. Ps they seem to copy the looks, but use pretty much the same bracing for all guitars. Look at the gibson copy headstocks. Where is the truss rod.. I bet its access is in the soundhole, like all the pac rim guitars.

I understand BK 👍

Sals was lamintated which will immediately separate it from the 000 Martin which is all solid wood so you couldn’t compare the two

I had an epiphone 200 and it sounded ok for what it was but I’m under no illusion it’s anyhing like a j200

But it was also laminate woods

I understand BK

Sals was lamintated which will immediately separate it from the 000 Martin which is all solid wood so you couldn’t compare the two

I had an epiphone 200 and it sounded ok for what it was but I’m under no illusion it’s anyhing like a j200

But it was also laminate woods

I had 2 cheapies that I won’t name/shame but I thought an up coming guitar student might want it, NO. I asked my luthier if the schools they have sort of sponsor deal with would want 1 or 2 and ....NO. They get the copies you talk about for special school rate! And then I asked a friend’s teenage son if he wanted them (both) to learn some acoustic guitar instead of the electric stuff he does...and he said that yes, he would like to record backup tracks for his album recording .... [tongue] ...and then he didn’t show up. He turned up a month later and didn’t tell me that he took them straight to the second hand instrument/pawn shop but didn’t know that a drummer I played in a band with 400 years back ran the shop! And also knew his parents!

BluesKing777.

I kind of agree with BK in that....

You make real music. Good music. You have two really nice guitars - the real deal guitars. Why move backwards?

I get that Jinder (a very real musician) sees them as a gigging alternative... that have "the look", and where plugged in, nearly all the nuance that separates great guitars from good ones sort of disappear....

I do gig with my Farida OT22. I nearly always bring it to gigs. If its a summertime gig outdoors, it will be the only one I bring. Otherwise I use it because it looks great, sounds great live, and I will use it for a few songs tuned down a whole step so I dont have to retune on stage as much. And it is a really good guitar, but it is no substitute for a good LG2 otherwise. Sometimes I think I should sell it, but it wouldnt be worth the hassle for the pittance it would bring.

I have an old Sigma that i've been holding for 25 years.

It is a very cheap model, at this time it was "Sigma guitars by Martin" and is stamped Martin&Co.

Mine is same kind of body shape as the one you listed, but was manufacted in Korea, and is laminated. It is the axe i bring everywhere i need, without caring, because of laminate, its light weight and small size. I'd say something close to a 000-15M copy.

I really like it, probably because it was one of my first guitars. However the build is nice for such a cheap guitar and it is easy to play.

I dont think there is any link nowadays with Martin&Co, but they seem to have greatly improved : solid woods, good quality build for a cheap price. they're probably worth a try.

Herebelow the stamp "Martin&Co" on my 1992 model :

mini_89014920171211135601.jpg

So why do you want a cheap copy, solid or not, when you have your beautiful guitars?

BluesKing777.

People ask me much the same thing. You have some really nice old guitars so why the Harmony Sovereigns? Why settle for the "poor man's Martin D-18" when you can go for the real deal?

The answer is simple - because I really like those Harmonys. They have thick tops, are massively over braced, have humongous tail blocks, and short (for a ladder braced guitar) spruce bridge plates. That they sound as good as they do turns conventional wisdom about how to build a proper guitar on its head.

It was the 000-MC-15E. Hog top. Laminated back and sides. Sonitone pickup. Frets needs adjusting when I bought it. Very comfortable guitar. If I remember I paid for it over $500 new... and frankly you can get a mint used 000-15 for $700. In my opinion my purchase was foolish.

It does not sound as rich as a Martin.

but... a $700 Martin does not sound as rich as a Martin...

In same price range as this sigma you find the Little martin, i tried this and it was a huge NO for me, despite what's written on the headstock, sounded dull. I think Guild does better in this price range.

but... a $700 Martin does not sound as rich as a Martin...

In same price range as this sigma you find the Little martin, i tried this and it was a huge NO for me, despite what's written on the headstock, sounded dull. I think Guild does better in this price range.

Do you know this ?

Played one ?

Listen I’m not a sales rep for sigma or anything

And to be perfectly frank , I would never expect it to sound like a D18. I’d be amazed and astounded if it could match one , BUT isn’t there a chance it’s a nice guitar ?

Anyone actually experience with a SOLID WOOD sigma ?

And little martins ? No thanks. Not interested in a month of Sunday’s

When I dropped my Dove off for fettling at the weekend, I spied one of the new Sigma models on the wall, an LGM-SG2...basically a copy of an LG2, but with lam mahogany back and sides and a 1 3/4” nut.

To say I was impressed would be a massive understatement. I absolutely loved the thing and would have bought it on the spot if I had the ready cash. Great feel and tone, and ridiculous value for money. They’re around £450 out the door with a Fishman Sonitone factory fitted.

Has anyone else tried one of these?

Trying to get back to the original topic. I’d be curious to see/hear what one of these is like. Jinder has quite good tastes in guitars, so I tend to think he might be on to something with his praise of this LG2 Sigma guitar.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Ah dear god

Forget it

Did you go off in a huff then?

I guess nobody else but Jinder has played one - main reason being they are are not allowed to sell them in the US. Same with other guitars I like/own...

Now here, they are selling them everwhere! Really, from the top guitar shop to the pawn shop! And they have every model except the LG one!

https://www.acoustic...product&q=sigma

BUT.....they have what appears to be a Blues King!!!! Says 1 3/4 nut!! better than the BK, can't tell if is is solid b/s? I could play my real Gibson Blues King for a few songs then I could do an acoustic version of 'Sacrifice' at the Blues Club acoustic night and set the Sigma BK on fire at the end! [thumbup][flapper] [flapper] [flapper]

https://www.acoustic...acoustic-guitar

BluesKing777.

I don’t want to get into the debate about copyright issues or Pac Rim vs American made etc.

I’m just giving this little guitar props for being playable and toneful. This example was a very good guitar which sounded uncannily similar to the LG2 American Eagle I owned previously, perhaps a little brighter and more articulate.

I would always rather own a Gibson than a guitar like a Sigma, but if I didn’t own my Epi EL-00 and was in that particular market (a gig ready parlour that I could fly with without worrying myself to death) I’d buy the Sigma in a flash as it punches well above its weight for a sub-£500 box.

The fact that the LG2 American Eagles that sold for £1200 last year now retail at £1800 is only going to push players towards guitars like this.

Archived