Gibson Brands Forums

1990 Gibson Les Paul Studio

steve_1300

So I just picked this thing up today for what I think is a steal, $640 with the hardshell case. And I can't believe how nice the wine red looks in sunlight, it's a shame so many people take photos of this color with bad lightning. And it has the ebony fretboard, which the guy called "black wood"

The gold hardware is starting to look pretty bad, fading and corrosion, but the body looks fine, I think besides the normal ware there's only about 4 little dinks in the body. The neck and headstock all look very good, the inlays are yellowing probably from some smoke.

I had a few questions I would love some answers for, 1 being how can I properly clean the gold? 2 What is best to clean the body? 3 What is best to clean the case?

Overall super happy for what I got for the price! If anyone knows anymore about the 1990 les pauls let me know. Thanks!!

LINK TO PHOTOS https://imgur.com/gallery/awKGD

Patina on the gold is fine, shows character.

If I had to I'd put a little window cleaner on a cloth making sure not to touch the body.

For the body. I'll get lots of "nay sayers" on this.

Long standing for nitro covered guitars is naphtha (Aka Ronson's lighter fluid)

Do not use this on a poly coated guitar like a Fender Strat

WE NEED PICTURES ... though

So I just picked this thing up today for what I think is a steal, $640 with the hardshell case. And I can't believe how nice the wine red looks in sunlight, it's a shame so many people take photos of this color with bad lightning. And it has the ebony fretboard, which the guy called "black wood"

The gold hardware is starting to look pretty bad, fading and corrosion, but the body looks fine, I think besides the normal ware there's only about 4 little dinks in the body. The neck and headstock all look very good, the inlays are yellowing probably from some smoke.

I had a few questions I would love some answers for, 1 being how can I properly clean the gold? 2 What is best to clean the body? 3 What is best to clean the case?

Overall super happy for what I got for the price! If anyone knows anymore about the 1990 les pauls let me know. Thanks!!

LINK TO PHOTOS https://imgur.com/gallery/awKGD

I don’t like gold hardware, I have a Custom with it and can’t wait for it to get worn off. I had to replace the tuners and went for silver tuners. So IMO the worn gold hardware is a plus, it gives a guitar character.

Anyway, cool looking guitar. I have a wine red Deluxe and honestly can’t decide whether a white Custom or a wine red LP is the best looking LP. I love wine red, except...for some reason...on Customs.

Great case too, those are my personal favorite LP cases. I have one I’ve been using for the past 20 years and it’s beat to hell but has held up beautifully.

Hi there,

Okay for the hardware Flitz metal polish, it will clean off the corrosion and not remove the gold. It also leave a protective film they repels water.

As to the body, it has paint on it (Like a car) so wax is best. When I worked at Fender, we used Johnson liquid floor wax to polish in final assembly.

Personally I use Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer, it cleans some but has no abrasives and is fine for metal as well.

If it is covered with a dirty film (I.E. Cigarette smoke residue) then lighter fluid does a good job of removing it.

As to the fret board, it looks really dirty, remove the strings and used Murphy's oil soap and a toothbrush. If it is stubborn, using the edge of a credit card to work it lose can be helpful.

Archived