Gibson Brands Forums

2018 Les Paul Standard wraparound tailpiece

wasilewski

Recently I got a 2018 Les Paul Standard and I love it. The fit and finish of the guitar are perfect.

I would like to top wrap my strings, as I did on my last Les Paul, however I noticed that on my that guitar the strings dug in to the back of the tailpiece and marked it.

I'm wondering if there is a tailpiece on the market that has grooves cut in it especially for top wrapping?

Guest Farnsbarns

Not that I'm aware of (caveat, I haven't looked). Gibson haven't designed them for top wrapping so I doubt they would make such a thing. Maybe the after market has a product.

There are Gibson tail pieces designed to be wraparound on models with no separate bridge but they have a "compensation" ridge to improve intonation on those models, not grooves for the strings. wouldn't grooves be about the same thing as the cuts on the previous bridge? And wouldn't the bottoms of the grooves wear through just the same? Does the damage matter? I assume the strings cover the damage up while they're on?

Can you just swap the already cut-into bridge onto the new guitar.

Not that I'm aware of (caveat, I haven't looked). Gibson haven't designed them for top wrapping so I doubt they would make such a thing. Maybe the after market has a product.

There are Gibson tail pieces designed to be wraparound on models with no separate bridge but they have a "compensation" ridge to improve intonation on those models, not grooves for the strings. wouldn't grooves be about the same thing as the cuts on the previous bridge? And wouldn't the bottoms of the grooves wear through just the same? Does the damage matter? I assume the strings cover the damage up while they're on?

Can you just swap the already cut-into bridge onto the new guitar.

I sold the guitar with the cut into bridge. I will probably just buy another bridge and use that for top wrapping. If I ever decide to sell my 2018, I can put on the original bridge.

Many thanks!

Archived