Gibson Brands Forums

Does this look right??

justshane

I found a guitar that I am interested in but I want to make sure that it is the real thing. I have never seen a Gibson headstock like this. According to the white label it is an SJ-45 Deluxe. According to the serial number and the Gibson serial number identifier website it is a 1999 model made in July in Montana. Any thoughts or have you ever seen a headstock like this? I tried to do some research but couldn't find a whole lot about it.

38273157084_472596e71d_z.jpg

I found a guitar that I am interested in but I want to make sure that it is the real thing. I have never seen a Gibson headstock like this. According to the white label it is an SJ-45 Deluxe. According to the serial number and the Gibson serial number identifier website it is a 1999 model made in July in Montana. Any thoughts or have you ever seen a headstock like this? I tried to do some research but couldn't find a whole lot about it.

Looks very Epi-phony (fake) to me.

Not an SJ-45 Deluxe.

Fred

Every so often you will run into a counterfeit that is so well done it can stymie the Pros from Dover. I dare say though, that based on the photo of the headstock alone, this does not appear to be one of those. At least it does not say "Givson" on the headstock. Question is - is Bozeman spelled correctly on the label.

Any of you lucky enough to have a case like the one in the background of the OP's photo? (It seems to be the same case in the background of the '73 below)

Andy Baxter Bass & Guitar had this 1973 J-45 Deluxe with the 3 truss rod screws; nothing strange about their appearance in that era, but the screw heads in the OP are of a different size: http://andybaxterbass.com/details.php?id=779

uflivro.png?2

Guitar in OP:

The tulips, and their greenish cast, suggests Gibson, though maybe from a different (90's?) time period. Lacquer cracking around the tuners looks legit; a fake might be done in a poly finish. The double "kiss" to the top edge of the headstock is not Epiphone, which is a single, made off-center. Is it possible that someone got creative in trying to make some headstock edge damage disappear? But how could there be a rounded shape to the center, which normally comes in to a "v"? ? Strange how the edge outside of the tuners is slightly softened, as seen in the reflection. How 'bout some more pics?

Any of you lucky enough to have a case like the one in the background of the OP's photo? (It seems to be the same case in the background of the '73 below)

The tulips, and their greenish cast, suggests Gibson, though maybe from a different (90's?) time period. Lacquer cracking around the tuners looks legit; a fake might be done in a poly finish. The double "kiss" to the top edge of the headstock is not Epiphone, which is a single, made off-center. Is it possible that someone got creative in trying to make some headstock edge damage disappear? But how could there be a rounded shape to the center, which normally comes in to a "v"? ? Strange how the edge outside of the tuners is slightly softened, as seen in the reflection. How 'bout some more pics?

More pictures definitely needed, of both the guitar and the label.

That case lining color is typical of a different era--1960's and 1970's--as are the three trussrod cover screws, so we really need more info in the form of pictures to be definitive about what this guitar might or might not be. Remember there were some exaggerated headstock proportions and shapes in the 1970's as well.

More pictures definitely needed, of both the guitar and the label.

That case lining color is typical of a different era--1960's and 1970's--as are the three trussrod cover screws, so we really need more info in the form of pictures to be definitive about what this guitar might or might not be. Remember there were some exaggerated headstock proportions and shapes in the 1970's as well.

I have never seen a top shape on the headstock like this one, without the middle "dent" on the top... i'm no expert though but it seems wrong to me

Edit : nvm 62burst explained it better... "v" shape yeah thats it ! [biggrin]

Not quite sure why it would make me lucky but I do have one. Mine originally came with a 1963 Gibson. Just bought the case and not the guitar. The yellow plush lined cases first appeared in 1961. They were supplied by both Lifton and Victoria. I also have two Lifton cases and one Geib case from the 1950s.

I have one that came with the '64 Hummingbird (but I think you already knew about that one).

I ended up walking away from it. I originally thought that the headstock was off and didn't get a good feeling from it. I hesitate to post more pictures publicly of it because I didn't buy it and it isn't mine. If you really want to see some more pictures of it then feel free to shoot me a message. Thank you guys for helping to confirm what I was thinking! I will keep my search going!

Archived