Gibson Brands Forums

1994 Gibson SG

Hello to all,

I found a 1994 Gibson SG on craigslist for a good price, I know Gibson quality has been talked about before that the older ones are better than the new ones. I just wanted to know if that has any truth to it. Also is there any way to date you Gibson guitar, in my case it's an SG, being that I'm buying used I wasn't sure? Last any thing I need to look at for buying a SG that is older. I will put up pictures if and when I get it. Any help is much appreciated, and thanks to whoever replies.

Alco Flower

Hello..

The guitar should have a serial number you can date it by... The year date is indicated from the first and fifth number. So for instance 82765501 would mean its from 1985

And you can always post pics on here before you buy it if you arnt sure...

Hello..

The guitar should have a serial number you can date it by... The year date is indicated from the first and fifth number. So for instance 82765501 would mean its from 1985

And you can always post pics on here before you buy it if you arnt sure...

This is the guitar, I contacted Gibson, this is what they said "The pictures and serial number are consistent with a 1994 Gibson USA SG Special model in Ebony finish. Thanks!". The guitar rocks, thanks for the info.

Alco Flower

post-88597-045951200 1513185068_thumb.jpg

Archived