Gibson Brands Forums

gibson melody maker set up and single coil pickup height

pmm

Hello! I bought my first gibson today and i am more than happy!

It is a melody maker reissue single cooil lp style body made in 2011.

The guitar is new old stock with 1 pickup and i am very happy with it.

The cost was 420 euros with gig bag(493 dollars)

I would like to ask about the single coil pickup height and what you recommend because it was way too high when i bought it.

Anyway the guitar has the normal specs of the 2007 melody maker reissues except from the fingerboard which appears to be baked maple and not rosewood which is fine by me.

Also the tuners are cluson deluxe buttons.

If you have any suggestions on the set up of this guitar or experience with it i would be happy to hear it!

My main suggestion is make sure you write down the number of turns you turn each screw, so you can go back to the starting point if you need to!

I usually find I need to lower the bridge pickup more than the neck pickup when I lower pups, or I lose too much warmth in the sound. That's my one rule of thumb, but everyone's taste is different. Good luck and happy playing!

My main suggestion is make sure you write down the number of turns you turn each screw, so you can go back to the starting point if you need to!

I usually find I need to lower the bridge pickup more than the neck pickup when I lower pups, or I lose too much warmth in the sound. That's my one rule of thumb, but everyone's taste is different. Good luck and happy playing!

Thank you very much!

I appreciate the advice

And happy playing to you too!

Hi, you said have a one pickup single coil LP style Melody Maker.. They come with a narrow single coil (Melody Maker style) or a Fat P-90 (LP style). In either case the closer the pickup is to the string will be louder and dirtier. Farther away quieter and cleaner. How you set it up is more for your personal taste. You just do not want to set it up too close causing it to buzz on the string. To test hold your sting down on the 22nd fret and check that it clears the pickup by about 3.5mm, do this for each string, primarily the High E and Low E. The most important thing to keep in mind is that the string does not hit the pickup when you strike it.. Also a photo of your guitar would help.

Archived