Gibson Brands Forums: 2015 ES Les Paul - tuning machine question - Gibson Brands Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2015 ES Les Paul - tuning machine question

#1 User is offline   JimB1 

• Group: All Access

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:19 AM

So a few months back I picked up a NOS 2015 Gibson ES Les Paul in Bourbon Burst. http://www.gibson.co...rbon-Burst.aspx
Itís a very nice guitar and I love the feel and sound but the tuners they chose to use are a bit of a pain. They are Kluson style but have a lot of play in them and once you get past the play they are stiff. Itís really tough to get in tune and they seem to slip out of tune more often then my Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Les Paul with standard Grover 14:1 tuners.
I figured Iíd play it a while and see if things got better with use but they donít seem to be. Iím a little disappointed that on a premium guitar they went this route on the tuners but maybe I just got a bad set. Anyway, does anyone know a good, drop-in set of tuners for this guitar? Iíd like to keep the look of the Klusonís if at all possible but just a better functioning set.
Any ideas on this would be appreciated.Thanks-Jim
  • 2015 Gibson J-45
  • 2012 Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Ltd Les Paul Goldtop
  • 2015 Gibson ES Les Paul Bourbon Burst

#2 User is offline   Twang Gang 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLake Keowee, SC

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:09 AM

Maybe you got a bad set, but you could try a couple other things before replacing them. First have you had the nut filed at all? Often the Gibson nuts aren't accurately filed and the string will stick in them and ping when it releases. A luthier that knows what he is doing can solve that problem in 10 minutes. Also a basic thing, that you probably already know, but can cause tuning problems - make sure you always tune the string UP to pitch. If you go a little sharp and then loosen slightly, the string will almost always go out of tune if you stretch it a little.

I agree the Grovers seem a lot smoother and easier to work with, but Klusons can be lived with if you're careful with them.
2017 Custom Shop 356 Mahogany/Maple Antique Natural
2017 Les Paul Standard T Honeyburst
2013 L5-CES Natural (Maple/Spruce)
2013 Les Paul Custom Lite (Mahogany/Maple) Ebony
2007 Taylor Solid Body Custom (Sapele/Walnut)
2010 Fender Telecaster (Ash)
2006 Taylor Grand Symphony (Rosewood/Spruce)
1981 Ovation Balladeer
1963 Walthari Mittenwald Classical
Rivera Venus 6 (1 X 12)Combo
Blackstar HT-5R (1 X 10) Combo
AER Compact 60-2

#3 User is offline   JimB1 

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:26 AM

Thanks for the reply. Iíll take a look at the nut but it seemed ok when I changed the strings. I used a little stewmac guitar grease in the slots too just to make sure but you never know.... -Jim
  • 2015 Gibson J-45

#4 User is offline   JimB1 

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:42 AM

I ended up picking up a set of TonePros Kluson ďupgradeĒ tuning machines that Stewmac had on clearance. I had a $15 reward from them over the holidays so I ended up spending $15 including shipping on them. For that price, Iíll take a chance Posted Image
http://www.stewmac.c...t_Bushings.html

At the next string change Iíll see about installing them. They looks like a drop in fit so, Iím hoping for no drama Posted ImageHopefully thatíll take care of my issue.-Jim

• 2015 Gibson J-45

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users