Gibson Brands Forums

2015 ES Les Paul - tuning machine question

JimB1

So a few months back I picked up a NOS 2015 Gibson ES Les Paul in Bourbon Burst. http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/Memphis/ES-Les-Paul-Bourbon-Burst.aspx

It’s a very nice guitar and I love the feel and sound but the tuners they chose to use are a bit of a pain. They are Kluson style but have a lot of play in them and once you get past the play they are stiff. It’s really tough to get in tune and they seem to slip out of tune more often then my Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Les Paul with standard Grover 14:1 tuners.

I figured I’d play it a while and see if things got better with use but they don’t seem to be. I’m a little disappointed that on a premium guitar they went this route on the tuners but maybe I just got a bad set. Anyway, does anyone know a good, drop-in set of tuners for this guitar? I’d like to keep the look of the Kluson’s if at all possible but just a better functioning set.

Any ideas on this would be appreciated.Thanks-Jim

Maybe you got a bad set, but you could try a couple other things before replacing them. First have you had the nut filed at all? Often the Gibson nuts aren't accurately filed and the string will stick in them and ping when it releases. A luthier that knows what he is doing can solve that problem in 10 minutes. Also a basic thing, that you probably already know, but can cause tuning problems - make sure you always tune the string UP to pitch. If you go a little sharp and then loosen slightly, the string will almost always go out of tune if you stretch it a little.

I agree the Grovers seem a lot smoother and easier to work with, but Klusons can be lived with if you're careful with them.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up picking up a set of TonePros Kluson “upgrade” tuning machines that Stewmac had on clearance. I had a $15 reward from them over the holidays so I ended up spending $15 including shipping on them. For that price, I’ll take a chance rolleyes.gif

http://www.stewmac.com/Closeouts/TonePros_Kluson_3and3_Longpost_Tuners_with_Pressfit_Bushings.html

At the next string change I’ll see about installing them. They looks like a drop in fit so, I’m hoping for no drama msp_laugh.gifHopefully that’ll take care of my issue.-Jim

• 11 months later...

I have the exact guitar as well. Although I am not having problems with tuning, I am not a fan of the tuners. I have a couple strats and am fond of the vintage tuners, which I find are much easier to string. I found using some Diaddario nut sauce on the bridge and nut really helps the stability. Theres a Youtube video of how to properly string the guitar as well (not implying that you are doing it wrong, but it does offer some tips). Kluson makes a vintage look tuner, with a locking nut I am considering, but at this point, have not pulled the trigger. I've included the link below. By the way, I love this guitar!

http://www.kluson.com/revolution.htmlI

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a ES Les Paul a few Months ago, and it is wonderful, however I felt the same way about the tuners, and in fact my Epiphone ES Pro had Grovers, which feel a lot better techinically than the Kluson fitted by Gibson. I did not want to drill, enlarge or molest my headstock in any way, and have found Kluson Revolution Locking tuners to be a direct fit ( get the correct size however, there are Two, I bought the wrong ones initially.... Anyway once this idiot had ordered the correct size, they took 30 Mnutes to fit into original holes, look fantastic and are a league above the standard tuners in stability and feel !

• 3 months later...

Hey Rockdrummerzero- any chance of posting a photo? I have the 2015 ES-Les Paul Bourbon Burst and have considered changing them out as well.

Thanks

Sorry I have taken so long to respond ! Work......

Here are pics of the Kluson Revolution Locking tuners, after 4 Months of daily use, I am delighted by the result, more stable tuning ( with Nut Sauce ) and they look great, no extra holes, no issues.post-86975-081089700 1556450826_thumb.jpg

post-86975-037839800 1556450844_thumb.jpg

Sorry I have taken so long to respond ! Work......

Here are pics of the Kluson Revolution Locking tuners, after 4 Months of daily use, I am delighted by the result, more stable tuning ( with Nut Sauce ) and they look great, no extra holes, no issues.post-86975-081089700 1556450826_thumb.jpg

post-86975-037839800 1556450844_thumb.jpg

I used the same tuners on my es-335. Drop in fit on my 09 es-335. String changes are even easier with locking tuners. Imho

• 3 weeks later...

Rockdrummerzero,

I pulled the trigger and bought the Kluson tuners last week and updated my ES-Les Paul. I have to say, Im a big fan of the them. They look great, and make swapping strings a breeze. I also find the tunning stability is much better. Replacing the bushings was a bit of a hassle. Although the original bushings looked the same as the new ones, I didn't want to chance it. I found a YouTube video that recommended a long 3/32mm socket to insert in the hole; just the right size to catch the edge o the bushing and reverse it out of the hole. Anyway, I highly recommend them.

• 1 year later...