Gibson Brands Forums

Wax On/Wax Off

johntrem

I've heard varying opinions having to do with removing the wax on potted humbuckers versus not removing it. I've read that removing the wax can bring the pickup to life, opening it up and improving the tone. The opposite side says that you'll end up with a squealing, uncontrollable feedback monster. Any opinions, exprience?

I've heard varying opinions having to do with removing the wax on potted humbuckers versus not removing it. I've read that removing the wax can bring the pickup to life, opening it up and improving the tone. The opposite side says that you'll end up with a squealing, uncontrollable feedback monster. Any opinions, exprience?

What you end up with after removing the wax depends on several things like how the pickup was originally wound and assembled; and what kind of music you play (how much gain and how loud.) You do have to be careful removing wax, some pickup bobbins will not put up with the heat necessary to remove the wax using that technique.

BTW I don't pot any of the pickups I wind, humbuckers or single coil as I think potting makes them sound one dimensional so to speak. There are other methods of controlling feedback in a pickup.

Archived