Gibson Brands Forums

Cigarette smell

jscully

Hi

I purchased a 2013 Gary Moore model on eBay recently and absolutely love it.

The previous owner must have been a smoker because it has that odor on it.

I’m an ex smoker so it really bothers me.

I used virtuoso cleaner and polish on it but it is still there. Anyone have an experience with cigarette smell and have any ideas?

I’d really appreciate help on this one.

Hi

I used virtuoso cleaner and polish on it but it is still there. Anyone have an experience with cigarette smell and have any ideas?

I am an ex smoker as well and I bought a LP Studio back in 2014 that I had the same issue with. I put the guitar on a stand in my garage for a few weeks to air it out and it worked.

I am an ex smoker as well and I bought a LP Studio back in 2014 that I had the same issue with. I put the guitar on a stand in my garage for a few weeks to air it out and it worked.

After cleaning time and airflow do it all. Just make sure you clean the whole git, lemon oil the FB with new strings, and while the strings are off clean the head.

My Dad gave me a car he owned and it had a REALLY serious cig odor, after cleaning I drove it with the windows down and left them open at home. It took a few weeks but the smell was gone.

I have the same problem with my Fingerbone Strat. I have scrubbed it inside & out and it is less pungent now, but its still there and that smell has twice infected the whole house! Its takes a fair bit of airing to clear the rooms. Not a good idea right now a its perishing cold outside in the uk.

be patient,, depending on how much second hand smoke was involved, this could take some time..

I can still get a faint waft of smoke odor from some of the gear I had at my last bands rehearsal spot.. it's been about 4 years at least since we vacated the place.

it was BAD..

I don't mind it however, it reminds me of many good times I had with those buffoons!!

I've never smoked and can't stand the smell of a cigarette , never even dated a girl that smoked.

4H

You can stand the smell of cigarettes, you just don’t want to. I used to work in a restaurant that had a smoking section. We’d have people on the other side of the freaking restaurant complaining about someone smoking which was absurd.

I mean, I don’t smoke and don’t particularly like the smell of cigarettes either but the way so many people act like even a whiff of cigarette smoke is unbearable just kills me.

Enter the era of the Snowflakes! it aint gonna get any better anytime soon..

I kind of like George Carlin's way of putting it:

Person: "Mind if I smoke?"

George: "Mine if I fart?"

A couple of my guitars and their cases smells like smoke as well because it's been in and out of smoky bars, rehearsal rooms, clubs, houses, etc. It's part of the era. The real question is: Snowflake?

You can stand the smell of cigarettes, you just don’t want to. I used to work in a restaurant that had a smoking section. We’d have people on the other side of the freaking restaurant complaining about someone smoking which was absurd.

I mean, I don’t smoke and don’t particularly like the smell of cigarettes either but the way so many people act like even a whiff of cigarette smoke is unbearable just kills me.

I used to have the same attitude. Especially people advertising on Gumtree '..comes from a smoke free home'. Sissy right?

I wont bore you with the tales of smoke at gigs, but the point is I could cope with all of it.

Until... I bought this guitar on ebay and unwrapped it. I never experienced anything like it in my life. 90% of the stink came from the bubblewrap, but the guitar has so far resisted soap, frebreeze, vinegar, odour absorbers and plenty of elbow grease. It is now just tolerable, but its still capable of infecting the entire house unless I contain it (yes I've had to sacrifice a good gigbag). I just dont like it and I want rid of it.

Hi

You can rent a small device called an Ozone Machine. You can place the guitar and case in a small closed space (Like a closet) with the case open and run the ozone machine for maybe 2 days. The smell will be gone.

Will probably run you $40 give or take.

Enter the era of the Snowflakes! it aint gonna get any better anytime soon..

Quite!

A real rocker & roller (e.g. Keith Richards) would have put cigarette burns all over the guitar and infused it with sufficient smoke to last 1000 years. That is a REAL guitar!

No chance of selling mine it would seem. All of 'em are lovingly infused with the very best of Virginia.

Quite!

A real rocker & roller (e.g. Keith Richards) would have put cigarette burns all over the guitar and infused it with sufficient smoke to last 1000 years. That is a REAL guitar!

No chance of selling mine it would seem. All of 'em are lovingly infused with the very best of Virginia.

I’m the only one from my family who didn’t smoke. Mom, dad, brother, sister, all smoked. My grandpa smoked so many Camel non filtered that he had nicotine stained fingers. My grandma smoked like a chimney. I’ve been to a million smoky bars.

I don’t like the smell of cigarettes but it’s not a big deal either. My dad’s guitar reeked like cigarettes when I first got it. I didn’t do anything to it cleaning wise. Now? No smoke smell at all.

I just get sick of hearing people whine about cigarette smoke. The owner of the restaurant I worked at was pissed when the city passed a ban on smoking in restaurants. She owned the place, she paid the taxes on it but these anti cigarette crusaders weren’t happy with people having an option of going to a place that allowed smoking. They want smoking banned everywhere.

Quite!

Don't you have Dunhills? Or Players? Aren't they made over there?

rct

Don't you have Dunhills? Or Players? Aren't they made over there?

rct

The non-filter tip Players were discontinued in 2016 rct although the sales had declined for years. They have gone the way of all such cigarettes such as "Capstan full strength" and Player's main rival brand "Senior Service". The cheaper non-tip cigarettes like Player's "Weights" and "Woodbine" were phased out many years ago.

You can still get Dunhill but it has never been a popular brand in the UK (tends to be on the pricey side)

Problem with cigarette smoke is it isn't contained to the "enjoyment " of the user and winds it's was into everything.. chairs, tables, walls.. even the food that hasn't been cooked yet.

To the original poster

Use the Zep Smoke Ender I posted about bought at Wal-Mart for the case

https://www.walmart.com/reviews/product/23795167

Use naphtha (Robson lighter fluid on a NITRO guitar like a Gibson Led Paul.. not for Polly finishes like Strat's) to clean the body of the guitar

Those will end the smoke smell

Archived