Gibson Brands Forums

H Bird Vintage, VOS vs non VOS

uncle fester

Hi - There's 2 used, mint hummingbird vintage guitars on reverb ($3100 and $3500). The only difference I can see is the less expensive one has a VOS finish.

From my understanding, VOS is supposed to give it an older look. My question - does the VOS finish impact sound at all, or strictly visual (both have the aged top wood)?

Very much appreciate any input.

That is my understanding about the finish on the Vintage model as well, Lars. Isn't the VOS a thinner finish, too?

The amount of toastification they receive seems to range from "lightly"/barely noticeable, as the Reverb guitars you've listed to, to the almost-charcoal one below:

02KZxgK.png?2

If you get close to pulling the trigger on one of these, be sure to call Wildwood Guitars in Louisville, CO; they can most likely match the price of the less costly one, and you'll be buying from a reputable seller, and getting a small window return policy, and warranty.

That is my understanding about the finish on the Vintage model as well, Lars. Isn't the VOS a thinner finish, too?

The amount of toastification they receive seems to range from "lightly"/barely noticeable, as the Reverb guitars you've listed to, to the almost-charcoal one below:

02KZxgK.png?2

If you get close to pulling the trigger on one of these, be sure to call Wildwood Guitars in Louisville, CO; they can most likely match the price of the less costly one, and you'll be buying from a reputable seller, and getting a small window return policy, and warranty.

Excellent Advice there.

02KZxgK.png?2

Thank you, very much appreciate the tip!

If you get close to pulling the trigger on one of these, be sure to call Wildwood Guitars in Louisville, CO; they can most likely match the price of the less costly one, and you'll be buying from a reputable seller, and getting a small window return policy, and warranty.[/size]

Really? That's a heck of a discount. Wildwood has the 2018 Hummingbird Vintage listed at $4,949 MAP. Do they really discount almost 40% off MAP?

Really? That's a heck of a discount. Wildwood has the 2018 Hummingbird Vintage listed at $4,949 MAP. Do they really discount almost 40% off MAP?

It’s bona fide.

The target of 40 % off of m_something was frequently mentioned on this forum, and something that was commonly able to be had.

I think you'd look for 40% off MSRP not MAP.

I thought the 40% off I'd seen was MSRP. If it's really off MAP, that would mean you could by a 2017 J45 from them for less than $1,500.

Thanks, guys. I knew it was one of the m_ prices. 'More of a bottom line guy, and the bottom line was $3100.

Thanks, guys. I knew it was one of the m_ prices. 'More of a bottom line guy, and the bottom line was $3100.[/size]

I was getting scared for my bank account if it was 40% off MAP [scared]

If they'll do a 2018 Hummingbird Vintage for $3,100 that's still 37% off MAP. Can you confirm anyone has made that deal? If so, I need to rethink my future purchases [thumbup]

Pricing and discount aside, I would take the Non VOS for the acoustic as it will look better in the long run as you will be the one aging it for how ever long it takes or sooner, now that being said some do like VINTAGE ORIGINAL SPEC in which they also offer on the Les Paul electrics etc.(VOS on them is okay too and I like it [thumbup]

It's all preference in looks in the end. You will have to really involve a software in your pc to measure the sound variance between the two, but when it's electrified and loud? What difference does it make in the end really. [rolleyes]

Peace!

I was getting scared for my bank account if it was 40% off MAP [scared]

If they'll do a 2018 Hummingbird Vintage for $3,100 that's still 37% off MAP. Can you confirm anyone has made that deal? If so, I need to rethink my future purchases [thumbup]

yes.

That was 2017 for a 2016.

what magic words work such a discount? as faceless consumers on the web, it's not like we're actually in the store with motivation. whenever I've express interest and ask if they could do any better on price, I've just gotten a "sorry this is our price," even when I can send links for other sites that are cheaper :(

what magic words work such a discount? as faceless consumers on the web, it's not like we're actually in the store with motivation. whenever I've express interest and ask if they could do any better on price, I've just gotten a "sorry this is our price," even when I can send links for other sites that are cheaper :(

I guess if you are serious enough, you can always talk to the manager. Depending what store and staff who work on commission or brownie points. I always ask for the manager of the store and knock on wood I get a great deal walking out the store every time. [biggrin] Some give but not all specially if they need to clear this years last years model to ease the overhead cost to carry another batch.

Good Luck!! [thumbup]

Lots of posts of astounding deals on purchases by people on forums. Very very few photos of receipts of these deals

Everyone’s cooler in a forum than thay are in real life

Lots of posts of astounding deals on purchases by people on forums. Very very few photos of receipts of these deals

Everyone’s cooler in a forum than thay are in real life

Dare we say we need to show receipts for the great deals? I for one will not pay the regular price they have advertised, in comes a long the street price I still think they can go a tad lower and this is new. Right place at the right time seems to work for the most. Just being a smart shopper these days do pay off and if I do pay through the nose I would be so desperate as if its the only one left in the world and I just got to have it mentality. I paid my dues for this from time to time and it's cool to save on deals as well. [thumbup]

So what was your best deal you ever had? Receipts? [biggrin]

Cheers!

Dare we say we need to show receipts for the great deals? I for one will not pay the regular price they have advertised, in comes a long the street price I still think they can go a tad lower and this is new. Right place at the right time seems to work for the most. Just being a smart shopper these days do pay off and if I do pay through the nose I would be so desperate as if its the only one left in the world and I just got to have it mentality. I paid my dues for this from time to time and it's cool to save on deals as well. [thumbup]

So what was your best deal you ever had? Receipts? [biggrin]

Cheers!

Hey trans , sorry it appears I’m getting at you due the proximity of your post.

I know deals are had. But take a read of forums and you’ll see that almost everyone gets the deal of the century ... just saying that you shouldn’t believe all you read in the papers ya know

From my understanding, VOS is supposed to give it an older look. My question - does the VOS finish impact sound at all, or strictly visual ?

Not a bad Q.

Every luthier will tell you that finish means a lot. I can add that sanding down a top alters sound to the rougher.

Bozeman recently introduced a thinner coat of lacquer and told us about it.

If however, , , goin' from gloss to mat and back by buffing will change anything is questionable. Perhaps a split hair.

Regarding aesthetics, the old guitars were gloss in their young years - almost like jewels.

Only when receiving the 'wrong' treatment they went cool-mat. The nitrocellulose couldn't take it and would be very hard to make shine again.

I personally like a clean un-dinged vintage guitar gloss, but a ragged ditto mat.

My 'new' 1963 cherry J-45 is both, , , and it was me who dampened the upper bouts.

The faded orange-brown mat cherry looks so good next to the simple yellowed white-black-white binding.

This cut would benefit from being sharper, but get the picture

1963 in 17 ~ ScYl72z.jpg

Hey trans , sorry it appears I’m getting at you due the proximity of your post.

I know deals are had. But take a read of forums and you’ll see that almost everyone gets the deal of the century ... just saying that you shouldn’t believe all you read in the papers ya know

Brother I get you fully. We all do from time to time, but not everybody really. We all say we do at times but in reality if you think you did get a great deal then you did and so be it [thumbup] . Not here to brag that I got this deal better than yours/anybody. It's really how you make it, like the acoustics or not. Some can afford, some cannot. I save my pennies (not that it means anything here on my side of the border north)I also buy and sell to fund my toys. Heck no matter what it is if you wanted something these days badly on sale or not you will get it and will make it happen and that's human nature. I'm not rich but I have great credit.............knock on wood [rolleyes] and my latest toy is a D-28 Martin Marquis (discontinued) but I wanted it bad and it's the last one and I got lucky I didn't have to pay regular price.

I also asked for a discount on a discount and got it " SOLD ".

No need to apologize =; , were cool and a sport. We just need to be respectful of each others wants and toys.

Peace bother and have a very merry X-mass holidays to you and your loved ones!! \:D/

Best!

Trans

Archived