Gibson Brands Forums

Conversion of 2015 SG Standard to 7-String..

dava4444

Hi

First time I've been back in a bit and my previous content seems wiped :/ but no matter..

To anyone who's seen my previous endeavors, I actually *am* serious hehe

And to anyone who hasn't seen them... have a look!

xbh289.png

Sooo.. I hate the wide neck on the 2015 SG, imo it's in 7-String territory and as no one will buy this thing off me.. accept defeat and modify.

I have already bought a 5th string banjo tuner (Schaller B5 type. side on one).. the nut will be a pain as its solid metal but it's 'do-able'.. the thing that's got me scratching my head is: the bridge saddles.

I can't respace them without custom parts.. hmm.. I *am* going to have to split one into two and forego the intonation.. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

Hey davva;

How about this?

http://www.rondomusic.com/cepheust7.html

Johnny

Hi Johnny :)

I *had* considered this but I measured up and I haven't found one that matches the SG, which is around 2 & 3/4".. most I found were roughly 3 & 1/3rd inches.

I *was* hoping *someone* out there did a saddle that had two 'wings' for the standard tune-o-matic using the extra space between.. man this is hard to describe! haha

I did a 7 string conversion YEARS* ago (then had it restored) on my Fujigen Marauder.. I just cut into the saddles on either side of the V groove on the saddle. This meant I could move all the strings down one and use the D string on the new machine head. it'd be great if someone had already made one, that was also off center to help with intonation.

*like idk 15 or 20 years ago

FYI I'm in Scotland :)

Hi Johnny :)

I *had* considered this but I measured up and I haven't found one that matches the SG, which is around 2 & 3/4".. most I found were roughly 3 & 1/3rd inches.

I *was* hoping *someone* out there did a saddle that had two 'wings' for the standard tune-o-matic using the extra space between.. man this is hard to describe! haha

I did a 7 string conversion YEARS* ago (then had it restored) on my Fujigen Marauder.. I just cut into the saddles on either side of the V groove on the saddle. This meant I could move all the strings down one and use the D string on the new machine head. it'd be great if someone had already made one, that was also off center to help with intonation.

*like idk 15 or 20 years ago

FYI I'm in Scotland :)

Yeah I'm in Canada so I still have to deal with shipping and duty etc.

Seems to me though that filling the current post holes and drilling new ones for the 7 string bridge has got to be easier/better that re notching saddles, particularly for intonation as with your method (unless I'm missing something) somewhere you will have 2 strings sharing a saddle.

Johnny

Yeah I'm in Canada so I still have to deal with shipping and duty etc.

Seems to me though that filling the current post holes and drilling new ones for the 7 string bridge has got to be easier/better that re notching saddles, particularly for intonation as with your method (unless I'm missing something) somewhere you will have 2 strings sharing a saddle.

Johnny

The 7 string bridge would be too wide, the neck could sit around a 3" bridge, with the current on being 2 & 3/4" and the 7 string one being 3 & 1/3rd".

I had thought about getting a one roller bridge and putting the strings either side of the roller, but again this isn't ideal for intonation :/

The best place for the string would be over the partition of each saddle.. idk.. I'll think about it some more

Archived