Gibson Brands Forums

Old guy has "new J-15

greywater

Hello all

I'm new to Gibson guitars and acoustics in general. I recently purchased a J15 through an internet auction and have questions/concerns about it. Maybe you can help.

The serial number is 11606030. I wrote Gibson's Customer Service regarding year of manufacture after failing to determine it myself. Gibson says it's a 2016 J15.

I believe 2016 J-15s have "2016" engraved on the truss rod cover and mine doesn't. The 2016 model appears to be lighter in color too.

I don't have the guitar yet but here are some pictures from the auction.

Should I be concerned ? Your thoughts are appreciated.

THX

Hi - this is one of those situations where I'm sure a lot would stand ready to reply, , , if we could see the pictures.

Be prepared for an avalanche of jokes - but don't take them in. With the exception of Murph, we are a harmless bunch willing and eager to help.

Do re-post the mentioned pics ^

Congrats on the J-15 .. They are wonderful guitars.

It's a 2016 - According to your serial number 11606030

Made on the 160th Day - Which I believe was June 8,

I wouldn't be worried about the Truss rod cover.

If it's used then you never know .. someone could have changed it out.

I believe 2016 J-15s have "2016" engraved on the truss rod cover....

Yeah, the 2016 could be there, it's just not real visible. If you look at the TRC in the wrong light, you can't see the 2016 at all. Is it definitely not there in the pics?

Or, as mentioned, they're easy to swap. No matter, though. Major congrats on your new J-15!

Oh, I see you just posted pics. I'm not sure if that's conclusive or not. eusa_think.gif

With the exception of Murph, we are a harmless bunch willing and eager to help.[/size][/font]

[biggrin]

<_<

He KNEW I'd find this thread because I just traded into a new J-15 myself.

Mine is a 2017, built in June, so luckily it doesn't have the year on the truss rod cover. If it did, I probably would have swapped it out, wouldn't like that. So you're better off. I'm quite happy with mine so far, the action is lower and faster than I'm used to, but I'm going to leave it for now. It really is pretty sweet.

Due to being one of the few members on this Forum who still has a day job ( [flapper] ) I haven't got to spend a whole lot of time with it. The original strings are giving it a brighter tone than my J-45 which I use Elixir's (80/20), but the tone from the Walnut back, sides/maple neck, and natural top are totally different than what I've been accustomed to in the last decade plus as well.

Damn nice guitar.

Congrats.

The 2016 model appears to be lighter in color too.

I wouldn't draw any conclusions based on the color in a picture. It's surprising how a guitar's color can change based on the angle of the lighting and position of the camera. I think it has something to do with polarized light.

I wouldn't draw any conclusions based on the color in a picture. It's surprising how a guitar's color can change based on the angle of the lighting and position of the camera. I think it has something to do with polarized light.

+1 for sure.. Hard to trust the exact tone/colors on computer or tablet screens.

There are certainly exposure, white balance and monitor calibration issues that affect color. But I'm actually talking about an effect you can see in person with your own eyes. Walk around a guitar and observe the color. It can shift pretty dramatically depending on the angle you view it. Or try moving the light source around and observe what happens. This is what I notice on my guitars but they're J-50's with clear tops (like the OP's J-15). The effect may not be as noticeable on a guitar with a burst finish.

I'm surprised that no one has realised that 2016 Gibsons were mostly built in 2015. Hence a serial number for 2016 would most likley be a 2017 model. My 2016 J15, with engraved truss rod cover was built in August 2015, according to the serial number. That's why the 2018 models are now available.

Archived