Gibson Brands Forums

Aloha from Hawaii

mihcmac

Just sticking my toes in the water.. I retired over a year ago on the Big Island of Hawaii.. I Have been really enjoying being able to play my guitars all day long going from one extreme to the other, have to get outside once in a while, I do live on an island.. I like kind of retro Gibsons double cut LP juniors or TV styles and SG's. Most of my guitars use p-90s.. An Epiphone "Blueshawk" came into my life that has been so much fun I recently had to get a Gibson "Blues Hawk"..... anyway they are typing the scales toward low noise P-90 configurations... just saying hello...

john

Tanx for the welcome.. I live on the Hilo side which is more kicked back than most of the islands. There are a lot of musicians here, the islands seem to attract artist types. I have always carried a Roland Cube in my car so I could play anywhere that felt good.. But that grew to chaining 6 of them together, creating a mini wall of sound.. I had been looking for a more modern P-90 guitar design and stumbled onto the Blueshawk. I bought a new Epi version and was really surprised at how well the hum cancelling worked, while retaining the gutsy P-90 sound.. anyway... I had get a Gibson Blues Hawk. I got a Black 97 and it sounds great, it may have a little more gain than the Epi. Well any way the low hum Hawks caused me to rebuild my other guitars reversing the windings on the neck pickups, so they have hum cancelling on the mid switch position.. Short story, I'm having a great time in paradise.. :)

john

I was stationed on Oahu when I was in the Coast Guard. Went to Maui once and the Big Isla once as well.

Welcome.

Same here.

I was in the Army, and served on Wheeler Army Airfield from 1997 until 2001.

Flew helicopters in and out of Barber's Point all the time, and really loved to longboard on the Rec beach there.

Lived on the North Shore, in between Sharks Cove and the Pipeline, and loved it there.

Surfed damned near every day.

Unless the waves got big, in which case I stayed home.

:)

Hi John

Sounds like the ideal retirement setup bud, I've been there a couple of times on vacation from the UK ( with head office / she who must be obeyed [thumbup] ) loved the place especially the North Shore area. It was like it was stuck 50 years in the past ( except for the prices :rolleyes: )

Have fun mate

Rgds

Kev

Hi John, nice to have you on board here and welcome,msp_thumbup.gif nice name too, we only have one son and we named him John. The wife and I spent our honeymoon on Oahu and it was a blast, loved it and we thought about going back some year in the future to see the main island. Your right its Paradise! Congrats on your retirement too, that's what I did when I 1st retired, played guitar all day. Now we have 2 grandkids that take up most of our time as we get to babysit while mom and dad are at work. By the way, nice collection there. Looks like an Ovation there on the end rack on the left. That's the last guitar I bought this year and love it. Mine is a Celebrity Plus super shallow AE in Koa Burst.

Its good be here and enjoying my guitars. I may have a few too many....I got 3-SG's, 2-LPDC's, 2-BluesHawks, 1-Explorer, 1-Melody Maker LPJ style, 1-Ric Lap steel, 1-china Strat, 1-Schecter Omen bass, 1-Ovation..

I sold my SG-X yesterday, so I'm down 1 -SG. Glad to see it go to a good home. Living on an Island where it seems everyone plays the guitar, it seems everyone has one or a few. The most popular are Strat's and LP's. Upper end guitars on craigslist seem to stay there for quite a while, until the price drops. If I see one getting too low it drives crazy and I have to get it. When one like that shows up its usually because its not set up very well and plays badly. Then I get to nurse it along and pass it on.. :)

Archived