Gibson Brands Forums

Es 137

Schotime5

I have an opportunity to trade a Mexi Fender Strat that I don't like that I've got beefed up with lots of upgrades and some cash like maybe five six hundred bucks, for a Gibson es 137. I don't know anything about the 137 do any of you have information please? Thoughts especially from people who have them. I've been wanting a Gibson and a hollow body, so I could kill two birds with one stone. I have 2 nice Epiphone Les Paul's that I swapped out and upgraded as well.

There are three basic ES-137 models - Classic, Custom or Billie Joe Armstrong model.

Here's mine, bought by my wife as a birthday gift [love].

It's a little unusual because it's a Classic but has the Varitone circuit which is usually only fitted to the Custom model:

ea3cff_e3981db779524aa3a9cb0a87c4f14938~mv2.jpg

Haven't seen one like it since, it's my ideal Gibson electric combo of Les Paul, ES-175 and ES-345 [smile].

I say go for it, it's a very versatile & well regarded model and is a lot of guitar for the money.

If you want a semi-hollow body go for this. I have 137 Custom. It's a very nice guitar. I love it. The Classics are a bit different but I think they are also very well put together. My Custom is quite heavy. But, it's an incredibly versatile guitar. Trading it for a strat you customized is tough to gauge. They're such different guitars. I have a strat too. Gibson semi-hollows are really my faves. Happy to have both (and an ES Les Paul just came in the mail today. But had to send it straight to the shop. Bought it used and one pick-up doesn't work right). More on that later.

Good luck.

I have an opportunity to trade a Mexi Fender Strat that I don't like that I've got beefed up with lots of upgrades and some cash like maybe five six hundred bucks, for a Gibson es 137. I don't know anything about the 137 do any of you have information please? Thoughts especially from people who have them. I've been wanting a Gibson and a hollow body, so I could kill two birds with one stone. I have 2 nice Epiphone Les Paul's that I swapped out and upgraded as well.

no brainer...do it

I owned a ES-135 a few years back which is the older version of the ES-137, and I've owned several Strats too. The 137 is a great guitar. Your getting the better part of that deal as long as the 137 has no issues. Do the trade, you won't regret it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a 2013 model in "Light Burst"

post-60552-055314600 1521128270_thumb.jpg

The tuning pegs are a bit tight to turn but otherwise I've had no issues with it. I keep comparing it to my R9 Les Paul. It sounds a bit different, more bite. The LP sounds very "creamy" but sometimes you get tired of that. The 137 has a lot of maple so it has more "attack" and it absolutely "owns" open chords. Compared to other guitars though - for example it doesn't sound anything like a Strat or a Tele, more of a variation of a Les Paul type of sound. People say the 137 sounds quite different to a 335 - thats a comparison I'd like to do!

There are three basic ES-137 models - Classic, Custom or Billie Joe Armstrong model.

Here's mine, bought by my wife as a birthday gift [love].

It's a little unusual because it's a Classic but has the Varitone circuit which is usually only fitted to the Custom model:

ea3cff_e3981db779524aa3a9cb0a87c4f14938~mv2.jpg

Haven't seen one like it since, it's my ideal Gibson electric combo of Les Paul, ES-175 and ES-345 [smile].

I say go for it, it's a very versatile & well regarded model and is a lot of guitar for the money.

Wow. That is a nice 6er.

Archived