Gibson Brands Forums

Incoming! 1995 J-35 Limited Edition Sunburst

GuitarPlayer919

This was just way too cool to pass up.

1995 J-35 Limited Edition

All original and appears to be in excellent condition.

Does anyone have any info on this model?

It will be here in a few days... [thumbup]

QoThJVOh.jpg

sjLRyREh.jpg

zshL4qah.jpg

Congrats ! Fuller's J-35 ?

I have a Ren's hand made 2011 J-35, one of 16 pieces. It has 3 unscalloped tone bars, and yours ?

Congrats ! Fuller's J-35 ?

I have a Ren's hand made 2011 J-35, one of 16 pieces. It has 3 unscalloped tone bars, and yours ?

Hey gotomsdos!

According to sticker, mine is one of the Limited 250 made in 1995.. which I believe this is John Walker's era.

This one is #26 (According to sticker, it's Day 44 (Mid February 1995 in Montana)....

A Monday to be exact!

Which I believe was a very good day. Everyone was hung over from the weekend! [tongue]

Also, I haven't received it yet... So will have more info and tone report later in the week.

For now... I can just enjoy the NGD anticipation [biggrin]

These '95 LE J-35s for whatever reason seem to be popping up for sale lately.

From what I can gather, and I may be off the money here, the '95 LE burst J-35 was made under John Walker. Not too shabby that. The key to these is while I believe they do not have period correct 1930s X brace they do have three un-scalloped tone bars. I want to say there was also a natural top version made under Kevin Kopp. The talent employed in the 1990s Gibson CS seems to be unequaled. You had Walker (who ran the CS from 1995 to 1998), Kopp and Jim Triggs all working under Ren Ferguson.

Very, very nice score.

Yeah, neither the X or back bracing is like the originals. With the J-35 if you want old school Gibson tone you need to buy one from the 1930s. They were all over the place though with the tone bars - three un-scalloped, two un-scalloped or two scalloped depending on the year But I gather this '95 CS is about as close as you are going to get. If any guitar screams for a Legend version the J-35 is it.

I ran across one of these '95 J-35s for sale a year or so back. I was seriously thinking about snagging it. Not all that expensive which was part of the attraction but there were no returns with this one and it was just too big of a leap of faith for me to buy something I had not held in my hands first. In retrospect, that might just have been a mistake.

These '95 LE J-35s for whatever reason seem to be popping up for sale lately.

From what I can gather, and I may be off the money here, the '95 LE burst J-35 was made under John Walker. Not too shabby that. The key to these is while I believe they do not have period correct 1930s X brace they do have three un-scalloped tone bars. I want to say there was also a natural top version made under Kevin Kopp. The talent employed in the 1990s Gibson CS seems to be unequaled. You had Walker (who ran the CS from 1995 to 1998), Kopp and Jim Triggs all working under Ren Ferguson.

Very, very nice score.

Thanks...Yeah, "not to shabby" is what I was thinking...That's why I snagged it.

I figured at the price and condition, it will be fun to check out.

I found a few of these out there. There is a fellow from AU on AGF that has #7/250.

Here's a Ebay ad for #100/250 -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-J-35-LTD-Used-guitar-from-Japan-806/162786428561?hash=item25e6d3c691:g:ckUAAOSwFyhaI86s

I have run across at least three for sale over the past 1 1/2 or so years. So they are out there and not impossible to find if you have a bit of patience, Far more of them show up for sale than that 2013 run of Banners based on guitars JT provided. It is the natural top version of the J-35 that reportedly was made that I have never even laid eyes on which makes me wonder if Gibson produced even close to 250 if they produced them at all.

When I had a J60, it had 3 tone bars. Don't 3 make the top tighter, so a more constricted tone (not boomy or bass heavy) is the reason for it?

Yes, I think so. I have a Ren's 2011 J-35 reissue, it has 3 unscalloped tone bars. Its low ends are constricted a lot.

Yeah, neither the X or back bracing is like the originals. With the J-35 if you want old school Gibson tone you need to buy one from the 1930s. They were all over the place though with the tone bars - three un-scalloped, two un-scalloped or two scalloped depending on the year But I gather this '95 CS is about as close as you are going to get. If any guitar screams for a Legend version the J-35 is it.

I ran across one of these '95 J-35s for sale a year or so back. I was seriously thinking about snagging it. Not all that expensive which was part of the attraction but there were no returns with this one and it was just too big of a leap of faith for me to buy something I had not held in my hands first. In retrospect, that might just have been a mistake.

Just like tone bar variations, J-35's have had both styles of back braces. I have seen them with braces as thin as a knife's blade and some very low and squat. I don't think there was ever a locked -in formula for very long.

Red 333

19 frets, long thru saddle - wonderful guitar that.

Yep .. Thanks!

It looks like it has an ebony board and bridge ! Am I seeing that right ?

Great looking guitar, congrats.

Thanks!

Yes it's Ebony ..

Initialled by one of the builders, who is still there now.

Yeah.. I figured someone may know this person.

My luthier went over the guitar.

Had nothing but praise for it..

He thought it sounded excellent and will only get better with age.

Congrats ! Beautiful black lady !

Fretboard ebony as well ?

Adi top, right?

19th fret exceeds the sound hole, very rare.

WoW,,,bridge pin holes in bridge plate reach the edge of bridge plate. Find myself mentally a bit out of order. [confused] [confused]

Anyway enjoy this beautiful black lady !

Archived