Gibson Brands Forums

New J-35 Strings

duluthdan

My new Limited Edition Terrified Top 1 3/4" Nut. Did the string thing to find out what this guitar wants.

Martin SP 12 Lifespans - sounded pretty good, But don't quite have the raw edge sound. Left them on 2 weeks

DR Sunbeams- 12s Nope, too mellow, no attack. Sound good but not right to me. Lasted about 2 hours then gilt swapped out.

Gibson Masterbuilt 12 80/20 - Acceptable but don't have enough oomph in the bass. Left on for 2 days, but no go.

Curt Mangan PB 12s - they dub Medium Light, probably because the Low E is a 54. Should have just started here, I figured this is where I'd end up. They have the raw edgy robust sound I like out of my slope Mahogany guits

I could've saved $30 if I would have just trusted my own instincts. But, you never know until you do I guess. Just had to spin the experiment, even though the results were predictable.

saWLLSR.jpg

My new Limited Edition Terrified Top 1 3/4" Nut. Did the string thing to find out what this guitar wants.

Martin SP 12 Lifespans - sounded pretty good, But don't quite have the raw edge sound. Left them on 2 weeks

DR Sunbeams- 12s Nope, too mellow, no attack. Sound good but not right to me. Lasted about 2 hours then gilt swapped out.

Gibson Masterbuilt 12 80/20 - Acceptable but don't have enough oomph in the bass. Left on for 2 days, but no go.

Curt Mangan PB 12s - they dub Medium Light, probably because the Low E is a 54. Should have just started here, I figured this is where I'd end up. They have the raw edgy robust sound I like out of my slope Mahogany guits

I could've saved $30 if I would have just trusted my own instincts. But, you never know until you do I guess. Just had to spin the experiment, even though the results were predictable.

saWLLSR.jpg

Good stuff! now lets hear a clip form that string!! [thumbup]

I do use the Mangan Traditional Light 12- 53 round core strings.

They are fine but not my favorite. Problem is my favorite strings are a bit pricey - D'Addario Nickel Bronze and the Newtone Master Class. It is also impossible to find Newtones locally which means I have to think in advance and order them.

Just my opinion but where the D'Addario NBs really shine is with heavier built guitars. This though is obviously not an issue for you. You might still want to give them a shot.

I do use the Mangan Traditional Light 12- 53 round core strings.

They are fine but not my favorite. Problem is my favorite strings are a bit pricey - D'Addario Nickel Bronze and the Newtone Master Class. It is also impossible to find Newtones locally which means I have to think in advance and order them.

Just my opinion but where the D'Addario NBs really shine is with heavier built guitars. This though is obviously not an issue for you. You might still want to give them a shot.

Stringsdirect.co.uk zomby. They usually have them but not sure what they’d charge to deliver away over there

They’re good strings 👍

My Masterbuilts were 5/6 months old before I got em'. I think I like em'.

Who builds them now?

I've been using them on my J200. I try other sets, but I keep coming back to em. I like Elixir PB 12s too.

and if the rumors are true, D'Addario is making strings for Gibson now.

Martins also have 54 low E. You could have tried the SP non coated ones, especially 80/20, they are cheaper and sound great out of the box and rather powerful in my opinion.

Stringsdirect.co.uk zomby. They usually have them but not sure what they’d charge to deliver away over there

They’re good strings

I can get Newtones in the States through Just Strings. Great selection, good prices but they hit you up for shipping. They will also occasionally be out of stock of this or that set. Took me three orders before I finally got a 12 string set. Strings and Beyond also carries a them but only a small selection - primarily the PBs

I can get Newtones in the States through Just Strings. Great selection, good prices but they hit you up for shipping. They will also occasionally be out of stock of this or that set. Took me three orders before I finally got a 12 string set. Strings and Beyond also carries a them but only a small selection - primarily the PBs

Haven’t used them in years.youve put me in the mood to try them on the j45

Was a D28 I used to put them on

Martins also have 54 low E. You could have tried the SP non coated ones, especially 80/20, they are cheaper and sound great out of the box and rather powerful in my opinion.

I use those 4100's (Martin sp 12's) on a Martin and my J45 TV, and find them to be quite similar to the Mangans, which are made in Colorado where I live, so local support and all that.

Patience,Dan!Two hours or even two days isn't long enough to see where they may end up, don't you think? We want that elusive "something" but risk dismissing it before we get to recognize it sometimes. Just saying...

How much do you expect something to change though, if it's not even in the ballpark - can you expect it to mellow into an entirely different beast that could surprise you, or just shades of what it starts out with? More just wondering than anything - thanks.

Totally agree with this. All my Gibsons have either SPs or SP Lifespan 12s, apart from my ‘90 Hummingbird which insists on D’Addario PB EXPs.

Martin are making remarkably great strings at an incredible price point. They sound great to tape, live or in a room. Seriously underrated wires, if I had to pick one string set to live with forever, it would be SP 12s.

Archived