Gibson Brands Forums

What is a "multi-matched" body?

SocProf

Several Gibson guitar models are described as having "multi-matched" body pieces in the specs. I understand making a guitar body out of multiple pieces of wood. But what does it mean for these pieces to be "matched"?

Here is my experience with the 2017 SG Faded T. When I considered buying this model, I checked out the pictures on Sweetwater.com. For most models, they show pictures (hi res and zoomable) of the next 4 guitars in line to be sold. Looking at the SG Faded T pictures, it was easy to see the joints in the body. The sudden shifts in the wood grain patterns, in straight lines running vertically through the whole guitar body, made the joints obvious. I also noticed that the placement of the joints varied from one guitar to another.

I ordered mine from American Musical supply with no pictures available. When Fed-Ex dropped it off, the first thing I did was scrutinize the body. To my surprise, I could not find any wood joints. It was evening, so I thought I would take another look in daylight. Again, I could not find any trace of a wood joint. The wood grain patterns flow through the body without interruption. I decided to email Gibson customer service to see if I somehow got a one piece body. Here is their reply:

"It may be possible it was a one piece body, but most likely, a very well matched two or three piece body."

I'm still leaning toward the first explanation for the reasons I give above. Unless they took one piece of wood, cut it into pieces, and then glued it back together again with perfect alignment--for what purpose?

Guest Farnsbarns

I haven't heard 'multi-matched.' But I've heard "bookmatched," like my Epi LP....

lpp390.jpg

You see the four joins in your body(not the maple cap, the back)? That's what's being discussed.

Several Gibson guitar models are described as having "multi-matched" body pieces in the specs. I understand making a guitar body out of multiple pieces of wood. But what does it mean for these pieces to be "matched"?

Here is my experience with the 2017 SG Faded T. When I considered buying this model, I checked out the pictures on Sweetwater.com. For most models, they show pictures (hi res and zoomable) of the next 4 guitars in line to be sold. Looking at the SG Faded T pictures, it was easy to see the joints in the body. The sudden shifts in the wood grain patterns, in straight lines running vertically through the whole guitar body, made the joints obvious. I also noticed that the placement of the joints varied from one guitar to another.

I ordered mine from American Musical supply with no pictures available. When Fed-Ex dropped it off, the first thing I did was scrutinize the body. To my surprise, I could not find any wood joints. It was evening, so I thought I would take another look in daylight. Again, I could not find any trace of a wood joint. The wood grain patterns flow through the body without interruption. I decided to email Gibson customer service to see if I somehow got a one piece body. Here is their reply:

"It may be possible it was a one piece body, but most likely, a very well matched two or three piece body."

I'm still leaning toward the first explanation for the reasons I give above. Unless they took one piece of wood, cut it into pieces, and then glued it back together again with perfect alignment--for what purpose?

Blanks are made of multiple pieces of wood for stability. A single piece of wood as long wide as a guitar is almost certain to cup at some point, which causes paint failure and worse. It only took a few years of guitar making to learn that, most guitars have been multi-piece blanks for a very long time. The blanks are made by the mill, NOT the guitar company. They are very good at delivering virtually undetectable seams, that is their business.

rct

Blanks are made of multiple pieces of wood for stability. A single piece of wood as long wide as a guitar is almost certain to cup at some point, which causes paint failure and worse. It only took a few years of guitar making to learn that, most guitars have been multi-piece blanks for a very long time. The blanks are made by the mill, NOT the guitar company. They are very good at delivering virtually undetectable seams, that is their business.

rct

Thanks for the insight. Looking at the other 2017 SGs, it lists 3 pieces, 2 pieces, and "1/3 pieces" (?).

Archived