Gibson Brands Forums

2018 Line-Up mainly Limited Runs only?

Pete'67

I was just browsing through the 2018 line-up.

Looks like everything but a handful of standard guitars is now "Limited Run" only?

E.g. the J-45 Vintage is marked as "Limited Edition". As well as the LG-2 and even the J-35.

Anyone has any information on this?

That neon green J-45 is just appalling.It's even priced $500 higher that a Standard J-45. So, get an ugly one and pay more. Makes sense to me.

Its a tossup between the neon green J-45 and the techno pink Hummingbird.Who comes up with these ideas?

Storeman to manager:’What do you we do with all these Js we haven’t sold - we need room for the Xs?’

Manager brings it up in conference later, and asks if they can discount them to move them....

Phone rings later that day: ‘Paint ‘em up!’ Says the line manager. ‘Boss said we might sell them to the 12 - 16 year old kiddies!

BluesKing777.

Storeman to manager:’What do you we do with all these Js we haven’t sold - we need room for the Xs?’

Manager brings it up in conference later, and asks if they can discount them to move them....

Phone rings later that day: ‘Paint ‘em up!’ Says the line manager. ‘Boss said we might sell them to the 12 - 16 year old kiddies!

BluesKing777.

Ain’t that the truth...

If Henry's greedy - why is he paying his marketing people more than we make?

I am suspicious that they do not make more than I do. I think the problem is he isn't paying his marketing people enough! You get what you pay for and these ideas aren't worth muchmsp_thumbdn.gif

I can see a pink low-end $100 guitar appealing to an 8 year girl who is just starting out. I've seen them around. I just don't quite see it for a $3000 guitar.

Forum members develop specs for a truly marketable guitar?

That has been attempted before. No consensus was reached. What we here might come up with is not what future potential purchasers of Gibson acoustic guitars would want.

I am pretty sure Bozeman's marketeers have ways of finding out what the emerging first time purchasers are looking for.

As far as the issue of Gibson making some outlandishly colored guitars...If you look at most products - there are usually unusual variations / colors made available for the few who would not purchase the standard version.

I don't understand why some on this thread seem to take it personally that Bozeman is offering - what, maybe 2% of their total production, in some outrageous colors.

Martin offers a guitar with a garish paint job that clearly and blatantly promotes legalizing pot. I could see folks getting more upset with that than a simple green or pink paint job.

So - if Bozeman feels they can sell a couple of hundred guitars they would not otherwise sell, by painting them in colors that do not appeal to most - how does that actually HURT us here?

As far as the issue of Gibson making some outlandishly colored guitars...If you look at most products - there are usually unusual variations / colors made available for the few who would not purchase the standard version.

I don't understand why some on this thread seem to take it personally that Bozeman is offering - what, maybe 2% of their total production, in some outrageous colors.

Martin offers a guitar with a garish paint job that clearly and blatantly promotes legalizing pot. I could see folks getting more upset with that than a simple green or pink paint job.

So - if Bozeman feels they can sell a couple of hundred guitars they would not otherwise sell, by painting them in colors that do not appeal to most - how does that actually HURT us here?

You are absolutely right - if I don't like it I don't have to buy it so it doesn't hurt me. I think its more like we are questioning the sanity of the people making the decision to offer those colors. I kind of think it cheapens the entire line. I would never want a guitar with those kinds of colors but I suppose out a couple billion people on the planet, a few hundred might buy. My bet is they will be hit in Japan. They go for some awfully strange color combinations over there. For that matter I don't like super blinged out guitars either but obviously people buy those so who am I to judge.

I was just browsing through the 2018 line-up.

Looks like everything but a handful of standard guitars is now "Limited Run" only?

E.g. the J-45 Vintage is marked as "Limited Edition". As well as the LG-2 and even the J-35.

Anyone has any information on this?

a decal will raise the price of the guitar over no decal..

Might as well save your typing hand. They may read the stuff we write, but if they do it must fall on deaf ears. They better rent a storage facility to store all those colorful guitars no one is going to buy. I'll buy one of those pink H-birds, but in a nice burst. Just saw the H-bird Regal, the back is what Martin does on a D-35.

Just so you know... They rented a couple of storage facilities several years ago. They are full of the regular production guitars. Gotta keep up the quota even if it means storing the excess.

Here's how it works. Telemarketer: Hi dealer would you like to buy a J-45. Dealer: Sorry but I have 5 in stock now don't need any more. Do you have one in Green? No? good I'll send you one. Maybe if you keep it a couple of years it will get ripe and turn red.

The Marketing Dept is staffed with folks that have never been in a music store or a guitar building facility. Most have never tuned one up and they have never read The Gibson Fab, Flat-top book. They are just kids with a marketing degree. They are based in Nashville about as far away from Bozeman as one can get and the folks in Montana have very little power over the decisions they make. They don't know who we are or how we think they just follow the Marketing 101 plan they learned in college. It might work for some consumer products but it really doesn't work all that well for guitars. Pitiful.

I had just recently gotten over the prices of the new models (4K for a Dove? They just don't want me to buy one) when now I have to get my mind around all these Miami Vice acoustics...I would like to play that Hummingbird 12 string, though...but, just what we used to call butt-ugly (hope I don't get blocked for that)...

Archived