Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone know what kinda fake this is???

steve_1300

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/755343534648250 I came across this guy a few weeks ago when he had the guitar up for $4000. I PM'd him to ask him where he got the guitar, and a little info on it. Then I asked him if he knew it was a fake and he played dumb. But now he drastically lowered the price.

But I would like to know what year this fake is copying and is this just a regular ol Chibson? Thanks!

Wow! I've seen a lot of these Chibson's on CL and FB and the seller has them at $1500.......I like to remind them that they are selling counterfeit guitars and might want to fix the description. If they say "Gibson Copy" or "Les Paul Copy" then I'm fine with that. I just hate to see a person save up their hard earned money for a very nice guitar and end up getting a fake. Great catch! Glad you called that person out!

Wow! I've seen a lot of these Chibson's on CL and FB and the seller has them at $1500.......I like to remind them that they are selling counterfeit guitars and might want to fix the description. If they say "Gibson Copy" or "Les Paul Copy" then I'm fine with that. I just hate to see a person save up their hard earned money for a very nice guitar and end up getting a fake. Great catch! Glad you called that person out!

It doesn't bother me what other people choose to spend their money on.

You can get just about any variation knockoff you want on aliexpress. This LP has what looks like epiphone hardware. The bridge saddle adjustment screws are on the wrong side, should be between the bridge and the stop bar. also another dead giveaway are the height adjustment screws on the bridge are too large, this is just like an epiphone bridge which has different physical measurements which means you can't interchange Gibson and epiphone hardware. Also the kluson style tuners don't say Gibson on them. Some people have been very happy with these, the woodwork is very good, after replacing the pickups and pots and switches and wiring... There are a lot of comparisons on youtube.. :)

The guitar in the OP is the usual POS Chinese counterfeit guitar. It's so bad as to be a joke. Not even close to the real thing.

...The bridge saddle adjustment screws are on the wrong side, should be between the bridge and the stop bar...

eusa_wall.gif

In which case someone REALLY should report this $13,500 "fake" - and several dozen more like it from the same home-page - to Gibson;

http://www.gibson.co...ever-Burst.aspx

The original Gibson ABR-1 'Tune-o-Matic' style bridge - introduced in 1954 - has the adjustment screws on the p'up-facing side of the unit.

The 'Nashville' bridge is different but to cry "Fake!" on the orientation of bridge screws is extremely unwise to say the least.

Pip.

Yes, in my opinion, this is a fake. The easiest way to identify them is the epiphone style hardware measured in mm not inches, in addition if you look at the bottom side of the pickups and pots they usually have an epiphone stamp on them. They have been getting imported in the UK for a long time, there are thousands of them. But not only Gibson's but Ric's, Fenders and other major brands. A lot of these guitars will squeal easily if you get them too close to an amp. Respected luthiers have inspected them and found that the woodwork is very good in most cases for a mass production guitar. But the electronics and hardware suffer. I was interested in them because it was an inexpensive way to get a reproduction of rare guitars like LPJ's, Firebirds and Explorer's. The Chinese suppliers are more than happy to provide as many as you want, including aged versions, no brand, no serial number, no USA stamp, oh and you can have your own brand on them.

sorry I keep editing this, its just that there are many ways to tell the fakes from the real thing.

To answer the original question:

That is a fake made in the Too Long Pork province of Shamdong, China.

Looks to have been made at the Un Sung Forged factory, near the city Chengdu Phony Axe.

The body is made of faux-wood, and it features a neck thru the wazoo design.

The pickups are the PAF (Phony And Fraudulent) models, the pots are Pseudo de do's, and the tuners are made by BoGus.

She's strung with Ernie Barr Erixir's, 9's thru 42's.

Okay, I'm going to shut up now.

:( [unsure][crying]

I hear those Erixir's use 'space age technology' coatings... which is fine in space but unfortunately rust within seconds if exposed to the atmosphere of, say, Earth.

...and without wanting to be argumentative Sparky, I'd suggest this one actually originates from the Moo Dung province.

The guitar in the OP is the usual POS Chinese counterfeit guitar. It's so bad as to be a joke. Not even close to the real thing.

eusa_wall.gif

In which case someone REALLY should report this $13,500 "fake" - and several dozen more like it from the same home-page - to Gibson;

http://www.gibson.co...ever-Burst.aspx

The original Gibson ABR-1 'Tune-o-Matic' style bridge - introduced in 1954 - has the adjustment screws on the p'up-facing side of the unit.

The 'Nashville' bridge is different but to cry "Fake!" on the orientation of bridge screws is extremely unwise to say the least.

Pip.

That guitar is really nice, Pip. I don't know that it's $13,500 worth of nice though. And, if I were going to pay that much for a guitar, I'd rather it have no dings and no wear, if it were a new guitar. I'd rather do them myself. It's possible I could play it and be completely blown away. I just can't see paying for a guitar that's worth more than my car. :)

How much for the authentic '74 Gibson LP gigbag? This one is so bad, it's almost hard to feel bad for anyone who is 'duped' into paying the 4K.

I find it very easy to not feel bad for anyone that buys a fake guitar at any price, but especially for less than some dumb old guy like me paid for exactly the same thing. In fact, it makes me giggle like a 9th grader.

rct

That guitar is really nice, Pip. I don't know that it's $13,500 worth of nice though. And, if I were going to pay that much for a guitar, I'd rather it have no dings and no wear...

Yes, it is rather nice, Michael.

I'm not usually a big fan of huge chevron figure but on that one it looks pretty good.

The price is a tad steep, I grant you, but the original would probably have cost Vic DaPra at least double that amount..........msp_laugh.gif.........

Truth be told I don't even mind the chips, scratches, dents, dings nor faded paint. Not in the least; it saves the anguish of smacking an erstwhile pristine guitar for the first time yourself.

I try make some concessions to keep my Lesters in reasonable shape and so I don't wear a front-facing belt buckle and always have to have the rivets on my Levi's covered which is a bit of a PITA. I'd almost far rather they were already buckle-rash'd to buggery yet I can't bring myself to deliberately neglect the rear of their bodies.

Pip.

I would hope not, I just wanted to see if anyone had seen it before because I really like the top on it and wanted to know where it may have been from lol.

I bought one of those DYI guitars kits of of EBay that had very nice veneer quilted tops like that. As a matter of fact the guitar in that pic reminds me a lot of that DYI guitar.

Archived