Gibson Brands Forums

WTB: Gibson "Goldtone" GA-15RV

Leonard McCoy

I have one of the (darker) brown (not QUITE black but close) GA30RVS 2x12 combos. (it would be the big brother to the variant pictured)

Great amps! you do not want to move it (89lbs) but tone for -------days----------

good luck!

The amp arrived. It's in great condition, very clean, only the edges of the tolex have started curling up which I couldn't care less for. Technically in great shape.

But holy moley, that sound. Incredibly warm and strong. Hope to post a full review with more pictures at a later date. Holy moley...

How does your GA-30 take distortion pedals? Tried it?

yep, I have and I think very well.. IMO you kinda need something, w/the absence of a master volume and all.

I've got three,, a Burn Unit, a Radial Tone Bone, and a Black Star HT Dual.

The other cool thing about the GA30RVS is the reverb is stereo set.. it sounds quite huge.. Two FX loops too, but I rarely use them as I find they add a bit of "hiss" to the running sound.

The Pull GAIN is pretty sweet, I think the 15s have that too right?

yep, I have and I think very well.. IMO you kinda need something, w/the absence of a master volume and all.

I've got three,, a Burn Unit, a Radial Tone Bone, and a Black Star HT Dual.

The other cool thing about the GA30RVS is the reverb is stereo set.. it sounds quite huge.. Two FX loops too, but I rarely use them as I find they add a bit of "hiss" to the running sound.

The Pull GAIN is pretty sweet, I think the 15s have that too right?

I bet the stereo class A GA-30RVS sounds even huger than the GA-15RV despite the latter already sounding boombastic. I have yet to hear a fatter sounding amp that pulls off such well-rounded, sweet sounds with ease and plenty of headroom to spare in either direction of the spectrum. Unfortunately, there's no Pull Gain knob on the GA-15RV, but it does have a dual modus operandi switch, triode and pentode mode, for basically halving power output.

I've bought a handwired distortion pedal (crunchy to rock-like distortion) for it, and the amp takes it quite well.

EQe8ojp.jpg

I bet it sounds delicious with just a bit of grind from that pedal!

The best thing about these amps is how they respond to your attack and guitars volume. Very dynamic, even a bit unforgiving if you will.

Not sure how your tubes are, I retubed mine last year, the stock tubes were still working too, but they were starting to sag a bit.. so I figured it was time.

It was real easy, it's all plug and play no biasing..

the reverb in the 30 was called "Surround sound"... and remarkably enough if you stand in front of the middle of the amp, facing it, it does seem that some of the sound comes from behind you.

• 4 weeks later...

I bet it sounds delicious with just a bit of grind from that pedal!

The best thing about these amps is how they respond to your attack and guitars volume. Very dynamic, even a bit unforgiving if you will.

Not sure how your tubes are, I retubed mine last year, the stock tubes were still working too, but they were starting to sag a bit.. so I figured it was time.

It was real easy, it's all plug and play no biasing..

the reverb in the 30 was called "Surround sound"... and remarkably enough if you stand in front of the middle of the amp, facing it, it does seem that some of the sound comes from behind you.

That's what I love about these amps: they are extremely responsive to even the minutest playing. Especially vibratos benefit from it. Add a supreme spring hall on top of it and you hardly need any pedal except for a little bit of overdrive perhaps.

My tubes are still fine, no need to switch them out yet.

Archived