Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Slope Comparison (J50 vs J45)

MorrisrownSal

Hi guys and gals.

This is a video comparison recorded on my iPad with an Apogee MiC. No effects. Dry. Quick and imperfect one take playing.

The guitars are both modern slopes, sitka over hog, and the specs are really identical. However, the neck on my J50 is noticeably fuller (the neck on the J45 is more flat). Same nut width, but more mass on the J50 neck.

Theoretically they should sound the same, but the J45 sounds more treble-y, and to me the J50 has more girth. How are dem adjectives?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ccjuf8NV28

2012 J50

2015 J45

Martin Titanium Strings.

How To Make Gravy

Freight Train

Two excellent guitars. The 45 may be more trebly, but isn't it bassier too.

The 50 seems more loose - however in these cans, not as potent as the darky.

Must say you have 2 sides of the same oxe here.

And that's always entertaining, , , simply because some kind of mystery remains in the narrow gab between the involved.

Yes, do try straighter strings. Allow these slopes to become themselves.

Thx

1513760220[/url]' post='1902168']

You don't need to panic about such a thing with Sal

By this time next year god knows what he'll have ��

You kidding? I'm all set. And besides, I rarely trade guitars...

EM... 80/20 or PB?

The one nice part of my starting to gig again is the spare cash... even though it’s small. It goes in a GAS jar. It helps me ....justify. I’ve gotten real good at justifying.

Wow.

Isn't that amazing. (not a question....)

One of my fascinations with the J-15 was the fact that it's TOTALLY different than a J-45 Rosewood/ebony. And yet the same size / feel. I'll A/B them one of these days.

I've always thought Tusq sounded better than cow bone, but, if I could get my hands on some American Eagle bone, or Buffalo, I'd be game to check it out.

How about a Sasquatch? (American, of course...) Bet that would sound awesome.....

Good job, Sal.

I did not seem to hear big diff, does J-45 sound just a little bit harsh at some point ?

BTW, J-50 seems to have a plastic stuff attached to sound hole. What is it ?

That’s his tuner

I have one too after seeing Sal

They’re great 👍

Dadarrio or planet waves soundhole tuner will bring them up with a quick search

Not expensive either

Zappa,

They are. I got my first set for free, and the next two sets on sale for less than that. I wont buy them again though. They are great strings for rosewood Martin dreads in my opinion. They give more midrange, and tame the bass and treble. They take a little boom out for the singers. For Gibsons? Less so.

I used these on the J45 for my gig this past weekend. They are loose, comfortable, dont corode... GREAT - except, if you tune down and retune up a lot, they are a *****; the tuners (both the clipons and my pedal) seem to have a hard time finding the notes.

Last night I took them off the J45, and put on Martin Acoustic PB Light Mediums. Boom there it is... The J45 sounds fatter now, if a little harder on the fingers. Worth it.

Zappa,

They are. I got my first set for free, and the next two sets on sale for less than that. I wont buy them again though. They are great strings for rosewood Martin dreads in my opinion. They give more midrange, and tame the bass and treble. They take a little boom out for the singers. For Gibsons? Less so.

I used these on the J45 for my gig this past weekend. They are loose, comfortable, dont corode... GREAT - except, if you tune down and retune up a lot, they are a *****; the tuners (both the clipons and my pedal) seem to have a hard time finding the notes.

Last night I took them off the J45, and put on Martin Acoustic PB Light Mediums. Boom there it is... The J45 sounds fatter now, if a little harder on the fingers. Worth it.

I don't recall your opinion of the Martin Retros, Sal?

I've really come to love them on my mahogany guitars. I rarely try anything different and love that they last forever. On my recent string changes I switched to the Retro Laurence Juber set for some added string tension as I typically tune to Standard D and regularly change to DADGAD and Open G among others. The added tension works great for the alt tunings. I don't get the floppiness/loss of tone I'd experienced with the Retro Lights, and they're not as hard to play as the Mediums.

Thanks for the demo, Sal. What I hear is the J-50 sounding a bit muddy-everything shifted to the mids and the treble strings on the J-45 too strident. The 45 has a lot more seperation of individual strings for a cleaner sound. I think changing strings and A/B'ing them again would be useful. They may both sound better with independently different string types. Different horses for different courses.

Theoretically they should sound the same, but the J45 sounds more treble-y, and to me the J50 has more girth. How are dem adjectives?

At least you did not describe one or the other as "chocolatey." There are those who swear that headstock/neck mass does come into play. Slotheads are, as example, said to be superior to a paddle headstock because they add mass and absorb vibration better and increase sustain. I remember years ago they used to make a clamp for electric guitar headstocks that would add weight and supposedly achieve the same result.

At least you did not describe one or the other as "chocolatey." There are those who swear that headstock/neck mass does come into play. Slotheads are, as example, said to be superior to a paddle headstock because they add mass and absorb vibration better and increase sustain. I remember years ago they used to make a clamp for electric guitar headstocks that would add weight and supposedly achieve the same result.

Yeah. You can jamb the headstock of the guitar against the wall as you strum and be blown away by the increased sustain

Or some BS like that. ....

Archived