Gibson Brands Forums

Different Pickups for my 325

matonanjin

I have a 1972 Gibson 325 that I absolutely love playing. It's really a toss up between it and my PRS Pauls for which one I want to grab first. I've had it about a year and despite how much I love the feel I have just never loved the tone. It's ok; maybe just a little thin. It's growing on me but I am half thinking of changing out its mini-humbuckers for something fuller. I'm looking for suggestions.

I don't even know enough to know what I can change them out with. Mini-humbuckers are actually single coils as I understand. But they are different size than typical single coils as in a Strat, correct? I don't want to do any routing or modification to the guitar. I don't care about devaluing the guitar; I will never sell it. I just don't want to tear it up. Nor would I. I'm sure if and when I change them I will pay someone to do it.

I'm just looking at what my candidates are for different Pups and suggestions. Primarily it is used for blues & blues/rock. And just home use. I'll never gig.

Thanks.

Btw, I didn't know if this was the correct forum or "Gibson Gear" or "Vintage" or "Gibson Repair Restoration". I'm still not sure if I stuck it in the right place.

Yes to P90's.....available from many P/U makers....and also as 'soap bars' which are easier to fit in some situations

Seymour Duncan are very well versed in mini humbuckers and can offer various outputs to suit different requirements

There are a huge number of alternatives

Blues rock was handled very well by Johnny Winter and his mini-hum equipped Firebird.....:blink:

The ES325 is a hollow guitar....therefore if moving away from mini-hums to P90's veers towards ES330 and ES225 territory.....[thumbup]

Playing at home at low volumes is different to stage volumes

V

:-({|=

Yes to P90's.....available from many P/U makers....and also as 'soap bars' which are easier to fit in some situations

Seymour Duncan are very well versed in mini humbuckers and can offer various outputs to suit different requirements

There are a huge number of alternatives

Blues rock was handled very well by Johnny Winter and his mini-hum equipped Firebird.....:blink:

The ES325 is a hollow guitar....therefore if moving away from mini-hums to P90's veers towards ES330 and ES225 territory.....[thumbup]

Playing at home at low volumes is different to stage volumes

V

:-({|=

All great points, Versatile. Thank you. Especially the one about Johnny Winter. Minis seemed to work for him, didn't they? [glare] I'll continue to think on this. I did go to Seymour Duncan's site and they have a lot of educational resources there. Thanks again.

Archived