Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson vs Epiphone (video)

steve_1300

I made this short video today with my 2006 Epiphone Classic PlusTop and 1990 Gibson Studio just to hear the difference. I did a short riff because whenever I watch a video of someone doing a comparison they do minute long solos/riffs and I always feel like it's too long to hear the difference. So I made my own with a short riff so you can hear them both in a short amount of time to really get to hear the difference.

I'm not gonna say if the first guitar playing is the Gibson or Epiphone just yet, but I will have a poll so you can vote, cheers! \:D/

link to video

Guest Farnsbarns

I will give it a watch later when I'm not at work. I have a 50/50 chance and I think you'll see that in the results. To me, the profound difference will be in the feel, not the sound, add YouTube's compression to that and it will be all but impossible. Fun though.

I will give it a watch later when I'm not at work. I have a 50/50 chance and I think you'll see that in the results. To me, the profound difference will be in the feel, not the sound, add YouTube's compression to that and it will be all but impossible. Fun though.

And the fact I recorded it through my cellphone's mic....lol. 50/50 chance though!

Ok. Not great recording for sure. Alot of the low-mid harmonics are cut, and almost 0 to very little bass response. If my life depended on it, I would say the GIbson is the First one in all three examples. If that's true, that epi is pretty good thou.

BTW, Nice Dual Super Lead. Like em alot.

With the quality of the recording, it is very hard to say.

What I could hear was the first one was of lower output, and second had more signal to it.

If I were to compare my 2008 studio to my 2016 Epi plustop, using these pick ups, I know the Epi is a medium output, but I do not know what a 2001 epi pick is or sounds like.

To really make this a fair comparison we would need to do a full set up with new strings and set the pick up heights all the same, then use a studio grade mic.

With that siaid, and using the two guitars I own and know, I would guess the first was the Epi, and second was the Gibby.

With the quality of the recording, it is very hard to say.

What I could hear was the first one was of lower output, and second had more signal to it.

If I were to compare my 2008 studio to my 2016 Epi plustop, using these pick ups, I know the Epi is a medium output, but I do not know what a 2001 epi pick is or sounds like.

To really make this a fair comparison we would need to do a full set up with new strings and set the pick up heights all the same, then use a studio grade mic.

With that siaid, and using the two guitars I own and know, I would guess the first was the Epi, and second was the Gibby.

The strings I know are the same, the set up was done by the same guy but obviously a little different. I wish I had a good mix but I just made this in 5 minutes with what I had just to see what everyone thought :)

No idea as no personal experience with either to go by. I preferred the first one but that's with your playing, with mine it might well be different.

Maybe expand it a bit with more riffs and mix of chords, solo notes. [thumbup]

Thanks for the input! I went with a short riff to make the time between guitars as small as possible to hear the difference. But with a bad mic the difference isn't as noticeable.

Guest Farnsbarns

I went for the epi first, Gibson second but that's based really on slightly preferring the second one (except on the middle setting) rather than thinking it sounded like a Gibson.

So I'll go ahead and say that the first guitar is the Gibson, second is the Epiphone.

I've been told the Epiphone I have is really really well set up, especially having a custom bone nut and open capped to help with more tone. But there you have it!

That's what I thought. Keep em coming. That was fun man.

So I'll go ahead and say that the first guitar is the Gibson, second is the Epiphone.

I've been told the Epiphone I have is really really well set up, especially having a custom bone nut and open capped to help with more tone. But there you have it!

I think you are mistaken

Steve. Just wanted to let you know, I picked up a Shure SM57 for my younger son's Christmas gift. They are only $100 bucks right now. Basically the workhorse of professional recording forever. Get a 57 and a cheap lil focusrite USB interface and you can record pro quality, free DAW's everywhere. Some of the interfaces even come with Protools 12.

The real issue here is the quality of the recording, and the fact that while Gibson has used the same pick up in the Studio forever, Epiphone has had a slue of pick ups over the years.

I will stand by what I said, If I were to try this test with my 2016 Epiphone, and my 2008 Gibson, the lower output one would be the Epiphone, as it has the new potted burstbuckers in it.

The real issue here is the quality of the recording, and the fact that while Gibson has used the same pick up in the Studio forever, Epiphone has had a slue of pick ups over the years.

I will stand by what I said, If I were to try this test with my 2016 Epiphone, and my 2008 Gibson, the lower output one would be the Epiphone, as it has the new potted burstbuckers in it.

Yeah, that Epi sounds nice. The mic is simply a suggestion so that you can record with an audio integrity that does justice to the tone. Cellphone mics are hot in the vocal range, but seem to cut a bunch of the low mids and lows in general. With an interface, you have your own mix station so you mix it however you like, not stuck with the 'Phone tone' by default.

Archived