Gibson Brands Forums

MY GUITAR ES CHINA OR KOREA,HELP ME!

lucio007

Nice looking Epiphone.

I can't find any record of a serial number quite like that one, but that doesn't mean all that much in the grand scheme of things.

It's most likely Japanese in origin, and not from China.

The case and all the other features look authentic, and the wear and aging would point to an instrument sold in the 1990's, and fairly well traveled.

I can only imagine that it's a real and proper Epiphone, and that the serial number is an outlier.

The reality is that counterfeiters won't generally bother to fake an Epiphone or a Squier, but would rather go for bigger money by faking a Gibson or a Fender.

[unsure]

The reality is that counterfeiters won't generally bother to fake an Epiphone or a Squier, but would rather go for bigger money by faking a Gibson or a Fender.

The first point above is an interesting call - would be a great result for the owner if true! What makes you confident about being Japanese?

Second point I'm really not so sure about though - I'd expect we hear more about the Gibson issue because people pick up on it so much, but my guess would be it's far more likely on cheaper and more commonly transacted Epiphone type models - albeit much less likely to be picked up and made an issue of on forums etc.

Nice looking Epiphone.

I can't find any record of a serial number quite like that one, but that doesn't mean all that much in the grand scheme of things.

The case and all the other features look authentic, and the wear and aging would point to an instrument sold in the 1990's, and fairly well traveled.

I can only imagine that it's a real and proper Epiphone, and that the serial number is an outlier.

[unsure]

MANY THANKS FOR YOUR ANSWER, I REALLY INTEREST TO KNOW ITS ORIGIN TO NOT HAVE A FUTURE PROBLEM IN SOME SALE OF MY GUITAR, I OBTAINED IT A FEW DAYS AND THE SELLER TOLD ME IT IS KOREA BUT GOOD, HERE I AM TRYING TO UNDERSTAND WHY ESE SERIAL, WITH A 5 INSTEAD OF A LETTER ... THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE

The first point above is an interesting call - would be a great result for the owner if true! What makes you confident about being Japanese?

Second point I'm really not so sure about though - I'd expect we hear more about the Gibson issue because people pick up on it so much, but my guess would be it's far more likely on cheaper and more commonly transacted Epiphone type models - albeit much less likely to be picked up and made an issue of on forums etc.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTION, UNFORTUNATELY I CAN NOT FIND ANYTHING ABOUT THIS SERIAL, ANOTHER THING THAT ANNOUNCES ME IS THAT I PAID FOR A KOREA GUITAR ... AND IT IS NOT THE SAME VALUE AS A CHINA, THAT'S WHY I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ITS ORIGINAL TO CLAIM IF IN ANY CASE HAVE BEEN SCAMPED ..

Sure.

I bought an Epiphone Fat 300 (Strat copy) from Island Guitars in Honolulu, years ago.

It was an insurance replacement for an S-300 that I had had stolen from me by a burglar.

At the time, I was also looking at an Epiphone Les Paul very much like the OP's one, and I remember asking about the price difference. (The Strat copy was cheaper.)

The salesman told me, "Well your old Epi and this new Epi strat-style were made in Korea and shipped straight to retail. This Les Paul was assembled in Japan, shipped to the US for final set up and packaging, then then shipped to the Island. A lot more cost involved."

I never much thought about it until this thread, and that discussion was nearly 19 years ago.

:)

I think I recall that there was a range of Epi's made in Japan and given final set-up in US so could be. Would be a good guitar if so.

Lucio I suggest you put your question in the Epiphone Electrics section instead of here - there are some knowledgeable people on Epiphones who would look there much more than here. Good luck!

Of course, if that sales guy was wrong, then I'm wrong as well, all these years later.

Post-note; The red guitar in my avatar is that same Epiphone Fat 300 (310?) that I purchased that day.

I sold it just a couple years ago, to one of my coworker's sons.

[crying]

The Les Paul's serial number tracked to Japan but he Japanese Epiphones have no reliable serial number data. The Korean Epiphones were mostly pattern built mass production guitars. Japan Epiphone's had a limited run of "built in Japan assembled in USA" guitars that were very high with quality using some USA components. These had a cheesy Made In Japan sticker on the headstock that was ready to fall off. Also if you closely inspect the bindings looking for imperfections which would be typical on a China or Korean built but not Japan. Your Les Paul has a lot of USA parts on it that could be original. It would be interesting to remove the back plate and inspect the pots and wiring. If the wiring has braded shielding (Gibson style) it is likely to have been in stalled in the US. Oh.. There were also Made in Indo-China Epiphones, but very poor quality.. Anyway you have a beautiful guitar.. The quality level would suggest Japanese but one way to be sure would be to find someone who has the same guitar with documentation.

There are quite a few Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro's on Ebay.. The Korean made SN seem to have 9 digits starting with the letter I and the Chinese 11 digits, both have gold covered pickups. The uncovered pickups are on the Epiphone Les Paul Custom Classic Pro. Also only the older Les Paul's have Gibson inscribed on the nut cover. The newer nut covers say Les Paul Custom. In addition the Korean LP's inspection sticker says USA,.while the China made say China... So your 8 digit SN indicates an older LP pointing at Japan including the Gibson nut plate. But could be a very early Korean made LP.

There are quite a few Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro's on Ebay.. The Korean made SN seem to have 9 digits starting with the letter I and the Chinese 11 digits, both have gold covered pickups. The uncovered pickups are on the Epiphone Les Paul Custom Classic Pro. Also only the older Les Paul's have Gibson inscribed on the nut cover. The newer nut covers say Les Paul Custom. In addition the Korean LP's inspection sticker says USA,.while the China made say China... So your 8 digit SN indicates an older LP pointing at Japan including the Gibson nut plate. But could be a very early Korean made LP.

my big question is the serial, I could not find anything, not even a guitar with the same serial ... that misses me a lot

Sure.

I bought an Epiphone Fat 300 (Strat copy) from Island Guitars in Honolulu, years ago.

It was an insurance replacement for an S-300 that I had had stolen from me by a burglar.

At the time, I was also looking at an Epiphone Les Paul very much like the OP's one, and I remember asking about the price difference. (The Strat copy was cheaper.)

The salesman told me, "Well your old Epi and this new Epi strat-style were made in Korea and shipped straight to retail. This Les Paul was assembled in Japan, shipped to the US for final set up and packaging, then then shipped to the Island. A lot more cost involved."

I never much thought about it until this thread, and that discussion was nearly 19 years ago.

:)

my big question is the serial, I could not find anything, not even a guitar with the same serial ... that misses me a lot

Fewer digits in the serial number indicate earlier in time production. Gibson was experimenting with licensed knock-offs that used Gibson's sub brands while other Japanese builders were making their own copies. Some of the early licensed copies were not as good as the unlicensed versions. During this time there wasn't a lot of control as Gibson was trying to find quality builders. I had a 70's Aria LP that was incredible, possibly better than a US LP... anyway the documentation on Epiphone serial numbers seem to get lost until the Korean Epiphones started up at the Samick plant.

I used ebay images of Epiphone LP Custom Pro's that showed SN on the back of the head stock. But the least number of digits I could find was 9. Your LP has 8 indicating an earlier production run..

Fewer digits in the serial number indicate earlier in time production. Gibson was experimenting with licensed knock-offs that used Gibson's sub brands while other Japanese builders were making their own copies. Some of the early licensed copies were not as good as the unlicensed versions. During this time there wasn't a lot of control as Gibson was trying to find quality builders. I had a 70's Aria LP that was incredible, possibly better than a US LP... anyway the documentation on Epiphone serial numbers seem to get lost until the Korean Epiphones started up at the Samick plant.

I used ebay images of Epiphone LP Custom Pro's that showed SN on the back of the head stock. But the least number of digits I could find was 9. Your LP has 8 indicating an earlier production run..

Thank you, I thank you very much that you have taken the trouble to find out, I will continue to investigate until I find even one more guitar with the same serial "5" thanks!

Archived