Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a real Les Paul, or some kind of copy?

maruaderguy

Dear Forum,

I could use some of your expertise identifying a type of guitar.

The black guitar on the right... Is it a Gibson Les Paul, or some kind of copy? The headstock is hard to see (sorry for the low quality), but it seems like it is paddle like, or slightly pointy like a Marauder headstock. And the white headstock logo and truss rod cover don't seem correct.

It is a 1981 photo of Robin LeMesurier's guitar from Rod Stewart's band.

The shiny guitar on the left is a Zematis that Jim Cregan is playing.

From the Young Turks video: https://www.youtube....h?v=VOHb9F23VxI

Thanks for your help.

lespaulguitar.jpg

Again, I defer to the true experts, like everyone else on this website, when it comes to the issue of 'Is this a real Les Paul, or some kind of copy'?

Can we at least agree that it isn't a real Les Paul?

But if somebody asserts that it is, I will politely demur.

I have, after all, been schooled on my place in the grand scheme of thing, recently.

So....

[mellow]

Again, I defer to the true experts, like everyone else on this website, when it comes to the issue of 'Is this a real Les Paul, or some kind of copy'?

Can we at least agree that it isn't a real Les Paul?

But if somebody asserts that it is, I will politely demur.

I have, after all, been schooled on my place in the grand scheme of thing, recently.

So....

[mellow]

The professor, AllenJason95, got fired from his teaching job. I would definitely encourage you to keep on posting, you provide valuable input and some nice guitar pics too.

Odd. This is the second time in a month or so that this video has been posted asking about the guitars. The earlier post was asking about the Zemaitis but I believe the Arias (the bass is also an Aria Pro II) were also discussed briefly at the time.

The higher-end Aria Pro IIs of the late '70s and early '80s were really beautifully crafted guitars. REALLY well made. Played as good as they looked, too; an absolute joy to play.

They weren't a particularly cheap option back then, though. From what I remember (vaguely) the best ones were perhaps 70% the price of a Les Paul Standard? There was one finish option which I think was called 'Antique Violin' or something like that which was drop-dead gorgeous. The only thing I didn't much care for was the fascination with mini-toggles but almost every high-end guitar of the times had two or three.

AFAICR Glenn Tillbrook - lead guitarist with the band Squeeze - was an endorsee of the marque back in the day. I seem to remember seeing him in full-page ads in music mags such as 'International Musician'.

Pip.

I have enjoyed my Matsumoku built Aria Pro ll guitar for many years and even now it keeps my 2 guitars made by the good folks in Kalamazoo back in the day in thier cases....not that that's any recommendation in itself (far from it) - but the better point is that none of the many more skilled guitarists who've been handed it to try over the years have been anything other than complimentary towards it. Decent, well made instruments IMO.

I used a seriously primary color Red Aria Pro II strat-a-like from about '83 to '87. HSS I think, crazy locking trem. It was fun. It was a brief "...but I don't feel like usin a Tele today..." period. Off and on. Somewhat.

Like this:

s-l300.jpg

rct

Odd. This is the second time in a month or so that this video has been posted asking about the guitars. The earlier post was asking about the Zemaitis but I believe the Arias (the bass is also an Aria Pro II) were also discussed briefly at the time.

The higher-end Aria Pro IIs of the late '70s and early '80s were really beautifully crafted guitars. REALLY well made. Played as good as they looked, too; an absolute joy to play.

They weren't a particularly cheap option back then, though. From what I remember (vaguely) the best ones were perhaps 70% the price of a Les Paul Standard? There was one finish option which I think was called 'Antique Violin' or something like that which was drop-dead gorgeous. The only thing I didn't much care for was the fascination with mini-toggles but almost every high-end guitar of the times had two or three.

AFAICR Glenn Tillbrook - lead guitarist with the band Squeeze - was an endorsee of the marque back in the day. I seem to remember seeing him in full-page ads in music mags such as 'International Musician'.

Pip.

Yes I should have bought one of the Antique Violin ones, they were beautiful - think they were probably nearly £500 even then...? :-k

I got a Hagstrom Swede instead. Nice, but....doh!

It may be that the OP is writing a book (on Rod Stewart? His band?) as this is his 3rd query about guitars used in Stewart videos AFAIK; 1st was an L-5s, then the Zemaitis.

...Yes I should have bought one of the Antique Violin ones, they were beautiful - think they were probably nearly £500 even then...? :-k...

Sounds about right.

When I really wanted one I couldn't afford one and by the time I could afford one I had already been lured over to the Dark Side by E.C., Mark Knopfler, Rory Gallagher and their Strats.

The Pro II will probably be one of those 'What if?...' guitars.

I don't have the slightest regret in buying the Strats but, in hindsight, I wish I had experienced one of the really fine Arias over a year or several instead of just a few play-abouts in shops.

One of my mates had a lower end one but it wasn't of the same quality as the expensive ones.

Pip.

Yeah ive played a few in my time.. Very decent instruments from what I remember... Also the bass player in my old band had an Aria Pro ii bass and it was really nice... He loved it..

Kind of one of those hidden gem type brands... Some real nice stuff for great prices if you know what too look for. Tanglewood went through a phase when they were producing really nice stuff for good prices (their stuff still isn't that bad actually).. My first EVER electric guitar was a Tanglewood LP Black Beauty copy.. I hated the fact it wasn't a Gibson so sold it in the end but it was a really nice guitar thinking back.. My acoustic that ive had for over 20 years is a Tanglewood too.. one of those Ovation round back style guitars. I love that thing.. Never ever thought about buying another acoustic.

Archived