Gibson Brands Forums

Serial Number Plus a Number 2?

johnlandi

Hi Everyone, I'm finally starting to restore my old Gibson acoustic. According to the serial number which is stamped into the back of the headstock (A140069) says it was manufactured between 1973 to 1975 (seems like a long time to be making a guitar : )and is part of the production number 140069. It also has "Made in America" stamped into the headstock as well. What I haven't been able to find is any information about the number "2" that is also stamped on the headstock above the serial number. The label inside the guitar is oblong, orange in colour with the words "Gibson" and underneath that the words "SJ DELUXE" but no information other than that. So, if anyone knows what all this means, I'd greatly appreciate it. And, if you have a different date that the guitar could have been made, I'd appreciate that as well. Take care everyone and Happy Holidays, John

P.S. I'm almost 100% sure that that's the correct serial number but, after all these years the finish has somewhat glommed together making it somewhat difficult to make out the numbers. But, according to everyone I've shown it to, it seems right. Also, it's actually stamped so that there's a separation between the first two numbers and the rest of them like this - A1 40069. Not sure if that makes a difference.

You're correct about the serial number. 1973-75 is about as close as you can get.

The '2' on the headstock indicates that it's a factory second. There was probably some minor cosmetic flaw that put it in that status at the factory. I'm betting you'd have a hard time determining what that flaw was. Factory seconds from the late 60s through the early 80s are quite common to see.

I assume you meant to say that it is stamped "Made in USA" on the headstock and not "Made in America".

Interesting that it has an oblong label. Typically they had a rectangular label in that era.

Archived