Gibson Brands Forums

String path over the bridge to the stop 2017 LP HP

SubseaUK

Having just purchased my first Gibson USA ( 2017 Traditional HP Sunburst ) I was a bit dissapointed to find the two lowest strings were in contact with the back of the bridge due to the angle of the strings to the stop. As I thought the guitars were supposed to be setup and QC before leaving the factory I am not sure how to proceed with this sit seems like I would be doing the factory's job ( only because they say they do it ) or is this something I should expect?

Any advice gratefully received.

Sub

Guest Farnsbarns

Who says the strings shouldn't be touching? It's adjustable to your preference so adjust away if you'd prefer them not to be.

Do you believe the dealer should be setting it up?

Do you know they didn't?

Can you turn a screwdriver? You can even use your fingers with no string tention.

Your disappointment is reversible in less time than it took to post about it.

Thanks guys,

I knew I was in for a bit of comeback but as a newbie paying for first Gibson I was not sure what to expect both from the dealer and Gibson themselves. As far as I have read in other posts the general consensus seems to be that the setup should give a leading angle from the bridge to the stop tail without interferance or touching the back of the bridge ( that may be incorrect but would seem to make sense otherwise damage to the finish on the back of the bridge would likely occur !! )

Anyway all your inputs are appreciated, I have already made contact with a local luthier to carry out a setup and will be speaking with him further.

I will also post some photos of the offending part(s) as soon as I get chance, I basically was interested in what level of setup to expect from Gibson as from memory ( 25 years or so ago ) the action was a lot lower with less pressure needed. I understand they can't get the action set for everyone but I would have thought the string rub would have been avoided! Maybe not :-)

Thanks again to all who replied.

Just for info the dealer did say it should not have left the store in this condition ( string rubbing ) but also agreed with most here about the action needing to be setup to suit the individual.

Having just purchased my first Gibson USA ( 2017 Traditional HP Sunburst ) I was a bit dissapointed to find the two lowest strings were in contact with the back of the bridge due to the angle of the strings to the stop. As I thought the guitars were supposed to be setup and QC before leaving the factory I am not sure how to proceed with this sit seems like I would be doing the factory's job ( only because they say they do it ) or is this something I should expect?

Any advice gratefully received.

Sub

Welcome to the GIbson Club. The only maker where you spend 4k and still get to do the setup from (sometimes) scratch. That's one of the things we deal with. But they sound so damn good, we deal with all of it.

Welcome to the GIbson Club. The only maker where you spend 4k and still get to do the setup from (sometimes) scratch. That's one of the things we deal with. But they sound so damn good, we deal with all of it.

Sounds about right Jay [biggrin]

the dealer did say it should not have left the store in this condition ( string rubbing )

2 connection points Nut and Bridge Saddle. With frets changing the connection points.

All else doesn't really matter.

Scratch the back of the bridge?? Please...

If touching the back of the bridge might be an issue if your strings were breaking at that spot

Archived