Gibson Brands Forums

Help me decide, R9 or 2018 traditional + PRS!!!

Temoc612

Sorry if this is not the right forum, I think it is tho.

So, I recently built and sold a house and since I've been wanting to get a proper Les Paul for quite some time I decided to go a head and treat myself to one, problem is I can not decide wich way to go!! Option number one is going the R9 route since it's as close as the real thing as I can get, Looking on reverb I found a couple lemon burst ones I really like and would love to own. Option two is going for a Les Paul standard -either a 2017 at some kind of discount or a 2018- and a used PRS custom 24, this two guitars would go for about the same as the R9 and are also high on my want list, maybe I can squeeze in a fender blues jr or roland AC 120 and still spend about as much I would on an R9 .

Some thoughts on the decision:

- The R9 is an absolut dream, but I would never take it to a gig so there is that, and I will probably end up getting one some time down the road if not in this occasion.

- The LP standard is no doubt my favorite guitar of all time but I heard the quality is not quite as good as in years gone by and that makes me kind of nervous.

- The PRS custom 24 is super interesting and would love to have one but I'm in no particular rush to get it, same as with the R9 will end un getting one eventually anyways.

What are you thoughts on what should I get?

PS. I CAN'T just go out and play them all, I orderd online since the best guitar to be found in any store in my area is a chinese fender LOL

PS2. For reference , this are the guitars and amps I currently own:

2013 Gibson Les Paul studio (will install some DR Vintage PUPS in a couple days)

2011 Fender American Deluxe Telecaster

2008 Gibson SG standard

2005 Epiphone les paul custom (with modded 490r/498t pups)

2017 Chapman CAP10

VAC ac4tv

Blackstar HTR5

Yamaha THR5

Marshall 100wat valvestate??

Sorry for my bad english and Thanks!

Get what you want...get the best and you won't lust anymore (OK, perhaps lust less.).

If you want to experience life, get the two, for now, so you can experience the difference of the two guitars. Note that PRS's are harder to resell... my local Cragslist is full of the same guitars not selling for at least one year..

Besides, you know you'll make more $ in the future and you will get another. I don't sell and damn guitars pile up quickly. msp_biggrin.gif

Get what you want...get the best and you won't lust anymore (OK, perhaps lust less.).

If you want to experience life, get the two, for now, so you can experience the difference of the two guitars. Note that PRS's are harder to resell... my local Cragslist is full of the same guitars not selling for at least one year..

Besides, you know you'll make more $ in the future and you will get another. I don't sell and damn guitars pile up quickly. msp_biggrin.gif

Are R9s easier to sell? Locally I would never be able to sell any of those 3 guitars lol

Guest Farnsbarns

I wouldn't buy any of them without playing them. I would seriously just not buy a new guitar in that position. Not at all. I wouldn't consider a guitar more than a few hundred quid site unseen.

Hopefully you can buy online from a distributor that will let you return the guitar if it isn't right for you.

Don't be concerned about a new Standard LP. I bought one almost a year ago and the quality is perfect. Finish, playability all great. It is different from an R9 and you may or may not like the differences. First they have "ultra modern weight relief" so it is much lighter than an R9 - mine weighs a little over 7 pounds. They come with Burstbucker pickups which are a little hotter and more aggressive than MHS or 57 classic pickups, but still can sound very mellow if you back off the tone controls. They have a compound radius fingerboard which is rounder up by the nut, and flatter as you move toward the body. It is a very easy to play fingerboard once you get used to it, but it does play a little differently than a 50s style fat neck and flat fingerboard.

On the new Standards all the knobs are push/pull. This allows you to coil split either or both pickups, go out of phase in the middle position, and use a "bybass" with the bridge pickup tone control. No matter what other settings you may be using you pull up that knob and it plays wide-open on the bridge pickup. Those are the main differences, but I think you get everything as far as tones, playability and finish options with a standard for a lower cost. And trust me if you get one you won't be able to wait to play it at a gig.

Personally I would recommend a new Standard as you mention you will probably get both an R9 and the PRS at sometime in the future.

Happy hunting. [thumbup]

Hopefully you can buy online from a distributor that will let you return the guitar if it isn't right for you.

Don't be concerned about a new Standard LP. I bought one almost a year ago and the quality is perfect. Finish, playability all great. It is different from an R9 and you may or may not like the differences. First they have "ultra modern weight relief" so it is much lighter than an R9 - mine weighs a little over 7 pounds. They come with Burstbucker pickups which are a little hotter and more aggressive than MHS or 57 classic pickups, but still can sound very mellow if you back off the tone controls. They have a compound radius fingerboard which is rounder up by the nut, and flatter as you move toward the body. It is a very easy to play fingerboard once you get used to it, but it does play a little differently than a 50s style fat neck and flat fingerboard.

On the new Standards all the knobs are push/pull. This allows you to coil split either or both pickups, go out of phase in the middle position, and use a "bybass" with the bridge pickup tone control. No matter what other settings you may be using you pull up that knob and it plays wide-open on the bridge pickup. Those are the main differences, but I think you get everything as far as tones, playability and finish options with a standard for a lower cost. And trust me if you get one you won't be able to wait to play it at a gig.

Personally I would recommend a new Standard as you mention you will probably get both an R9 and the PRS at sometime in the future.

Happy hunting. [thumbup]

Thanks a bunch, I am leaning towards the 2018 standard, all those options sound really appealing to me, plus that mojave finish is insane!!

My take is simple. Is the PRS a better guitar, IDK people say their quality control is better, people say a lot of things. Which one sounds better? Gibby head and shoulders sounds better. If it absolutely chaps your *** to maybe get a tiny bit of overspray on the binding (still haven't seen example of that) maybe you're a PRS guy. If you care about having the tone that draws me to Gibsons, there is no decision here.

I'm digging the Lemon Burst reissues as well, though I'd rather shoot for an R8 (see below). But since you don't have any Les Paul Standard yet, I'd say get a reissue later once you have acquainted yourself with a real nice recent LP Standard — they are fabulous guitars. Pass up on the PRS entirely (it's just a phase with little resale value).

wLPbRBo.jpg

For me the R9, cos I'd be playing the regular production 2017 LP and wondering how much better the R9 might have been, whereas as soon as the R9 was in my hands I'd instantly forget there was ever the choice of the 2017 LP or ...whatever the other thing was ( sorry, I was just thinking about the R9 then)

I would never spend that kinda money on a guitar without first playing.

I have many times! Nothing wrong with online purchases as you can send them back if you are not happy with the instrument. When I bought my L5CES (amongst others) I ordered it from a German store through its partner shop here in England. Guitar arrived and was flawless until 6 months later when some slight finish checking appeared on the back of the neck. Other than that I love it though and sounds wonderful. Did I regret not trying others? Not really, as how many places regularly stock L5's? About 3 or 4 in the UK, so trying lots was not an option. It sounds to my ears like an L5 should from listening and watching many great jazz players over the years, so I'm pleased with it all round.

...since you don't have any Les Paul Standard yet, I'd say get a reissue later once you have acquainted yourself with a real nice recent LP Standard...

With all due respect, Leonard, Why wait?

The OP said in his first post that he already has a 4-y-o Les Paul Studio so is clearly very familiar with the Les Paul as an instrument. As I'm sure you know there's not that much difference between a Studio and Standard apart from the amount of Bling. If he buys a Standard only to sell it at a loss to buy an R9 he will be, in effect, throwing a fair sum of money away.

IMO he should just get the R9 and be done with it. He'll also have a nicer guitar to play straight away instead of waiting for a year or two for that pleasure.

...I'd be playing the regular production 2017 LP and wondering how much better the R9 might have been...

I agree 100%

The Lemon-Drop R8 in your post is a bit of a stunner, Leonard! Is it yours?

Pip.

Guest Farnsbarns

While I really wouldn't buy any Gibson without playing it, if I had to, it would be the R9.

The thing about these guitars is they're all more different than standards. Both the reissues I have purchased were bought in circumstances where I had no intention. Both times I came away with something quite different from what I had expected. I just happened to play lots of guitars and those were the ones which had my name on them. I can't help but think the chances of getting that guitar which is just perfect for you by mail order are extremely slim.

...I can't help but think the chances of getting that guitar which is just perfect for you by mail order are extremely slim...

We, however, are fortunate enough to have shops literally dripping with LPR-I's at the end of every second street or so. The OP does not have the luxury of trying out multiple examples before he buys and, in his situation, buying on-line is the only option. As such I'm absolutely sure he would become delighted with his purchase and would 'make it his own' in time.

It's how I'd approach the 'problem' if I were in his shoes.

Pip.

Get the R9. And gig it! That’s what they are made for.

I went through a PRS phase after I bought my R9. Guess which guitar is still in the stable.

Yup. What are you gonna take it to the next life. Slash has 4 or 5 he is touring with. 2 with repaired snapped necks. He still brings em.

Since you would not gig the R9...

This point does need to be addressed first, of course. Re-Issues are in their element in a gig.

I don't play out much at all these days but when I have been in front of the Great Unwashed I have always taken my R0 and have enjoyed the experience enormously.

I'd like to hear from the OP whether it is it the fear of theft which is off-putting?

Difficult to remove from the equation completely, of course, but not wholly impossible if you keep your wits about you.

And have BIG mates.

Pip.

This point does need to be addressed first, of course. Re-Issues are in their element in a gig.

I don't play out much at all these days but when I have been in front of the Great Unwashed I have always taken my R0 and have enjoyed the experience enormously.

I'd like to hear from the OP whether it is it the fear of theft which is off-putting?

Difficult to remove from the equation completely, of course, but not wholly impossible if you keep your wits about you.

And have BIG mates.

Pip.

:)

Yes. If you know the venue in advance and can plan accordingly, its possible to almost eliminate risk. I have never paid R9 prices for a guitar, so felt rather unqualified to venture an opinion. However, IMO guitars need to be used fully just like cars need to be driven on the open road amongst all the looneys.

I'm digging the Lemon Burst reissues as well, though I'd rather shoot for an R8 (see below). But since you don't have any Les Paul Standard yet, I'd say get a reissue later once you have acquainted yourself with a real nice recent LP Standard — they are fabulous guitars. Pass up on the PRS entirely (it's just a phase with little resale value).

wLPbRBo.jpg

YOu made some harassment and trolling in my topics so you are now reported

thanks you if you want to change your attitude now

i made screenshots i will use for the police

Archived