Gibson Brands Forums

J15 bad action ?

greywater

I just received a used 2016 J15 and I'm disappointed with the action. I can't barre effectively as the middle D and G strings produce a "plunk" when barred. The four lower strings are wire wound. Is this a "normal" configuration for a J15 ? I've attached a photo of the guitar neck ( I hope.) The neck doesn't appear to be bowed.

I'm new to acoustics but I think there's a problem. Would smaller gauge strings help ?

post-89056-008405100 1513976430_thumb.jpg

Yes you can do this yourself if you understand what you are doing . The worst you can do is need to get another tusq saddle blank and start over. But if you have never done this a good tech can do a setup adjustment quite inexpensively. Lots of info online on the process. Make sure to keep the adjustments even , don’t drop the treble or bass side too much. Don’t do too much at one time.

I would suggest that you take the guitar to a good tech for a set-up. Shouldn't cost more than about $50-75 or so. he should check the action height, adjust the truss rod if required, and make sure the nut slots are properly cut. As a starting point, you should be using light gauge (12-53 or 12-54) strings.

Because you are not experienced with acoustics, you should let someone knowledgeable do the job for you the first time. The way the bridge pins on the low strings are popped up suggests that the strings may not be properly seated against the bridgeplate. Look inside the guitar with a mirror. The ball ends of all the strings should be snug against the underside of the bridgeplate. If they aren't, the guitar isn't properly strung for starters.

Players who are moving from electrics to acoustics for the first time may be surprised at the additional force necessary for barre chords on many acoustics. Acoustics generally use heavier-gauge strings with more tension, which may require extra effort when fretting.

You'll get used to it.

Needs a truss rod tweak and possibly a little height taking off the saddle. I’d take it to a Tech who can give it a proper setup and make it play like butter...the good news is it all looks good-the saddle has plenty of height so adjustment has plenty of scope. J15s are great guitars, once it’s set up the way you like it you’ll take a ton of pleasure from it.

I would suggest that you take the guitar to a good tech for a set-up. Shouldn't cost more than about $50-75 or so. he should check the action height, adjust the truss rod if required, and make sure the nut slots are properly cut. As a starting point, you should be using light gauge (12-53 or 12-54) strings.

Because you are not experienced with acoustics, you should let someone knowledgeable do the job for you the first time. The way the bridge pins on the low strings are popped up suggests that the strings may not be properly seated against the bridgeplate. Look inside the guitar with a mirror. The ball ends of all the strings should be snug against the underside of the bridgeplate. If they aren't, the guitar isn't properly strung for starters.

Players who are moving from electrics to acoustics for the first time may be surprised at the additional force necessary for barre chords on many acoustics. Acoustics generally use heavier-gauge strings with more tension, which may require extra effort when fretting.

You'll get used to it.

Thank you. The bridge pins got my attention right away. They should all be about the same height I gather. Can somebody post a photo of their bridge pins ?

No doubt the bridge pins are not inserted correctly. I used a death-grip capo and as suggested barring sounded fine. I think this proves that the action is too hard. I'm pretty strong and I can't get the guitar to barre correctly. I see at trip to a luthier in the near future.

No doubt the bridge pins are not inserted correctly. I used a death-grip capo and as suggested barring sounded fine. I think this proves that the action is too hard. I'm pretty strong and I can't get the guitar to barre correctly. I see at trip to a luthier in the near future.

I just wanted to eliminate the possibility of a high fret.

Yes, a good set up from a competent Lutier sounds like a good idea.

If your in a large city, ask who the local Gibson warranty repair station is.

Wow. Mine is very nice and lower than my J-45 was / is. Far lower.

Those pins might just need a push back in, but I'd still probably have it looked at by a pro.

The problem with me is TRUST which is why I spend many hours researching stuff.

An acoustic with 12's is NOT going to play like a Tele with 9's. Ever.

Best of luck, the J-15 is a sweet guitar.

If you'd just measure the action on both sides, that is the high and low E string, at the 12th fret (from top of fret to bottom of string), we could tell for sure if the action is too high on this guitar. There's nothing wrong with the bridge pins up-front since the strings each have a different diameter and therefore stick out differently in new bridge pin holes. Of course, a professional setup is almost always worth getting on any new guitar.

If you'd just measure the action on both sides, that is the high and low E string, at the 12th fret (from top of fret to bottom of string), we could tell for sure if the action is too high on this guitar. There's nothing wrong with the bridge pins up-front since the strings each have a different diameter and therefore stick out differently in new bridge pin holes. Of course, a professional setup is almost always worth getting on any new guitar.

I appreciate everbody's help.

Approximate measurements are: low E 3/16" high E 1/8".

The more forums I read the more I realize that there is a paranoia that comes with a new guitar that it has some kind of flaw. As everyone is telling you the guys who build these things do not know or care about your preferences. If you buy from a good store, they will generally tell you to take it home for a few weeks and if you do not like the way it plays bring it back in and they will set it up for you and charge you only for any new parts. My wife just went through this with her new Martin D28 12. Sometimes a guitar will be set up for a certain string gauge which may not be to your liking.

I am not saying problems do not exist. Frets will pop up on a guitar that has a dry board. Not a big deal and easy to deal with but aggravating as all get out especially when it is a new guitar which we do expect to be perfect.

I only buy used and as a rule find actions too low for my tastes. I just figure this is because many people these days back into an acoustic from an electric and want the acoustic to play the same so it is normal. I keep a supply of shims on hand to raise the saddle to get me through until I get a set up.

Archived