Gibson Brands Forums

Underfloor heating

Irish_Rover

Seasons greetings to one and all.

I'm an infrequent visitor these days - somehow my life has become too hectic.

Anyway, I'm about to move into a brand new apartment which has an underfloor heating/cooling system that allegedly maintains a year round temperature of 20 degrees. Does anyone have any experience of a system like this and its effect, if any, on acoustic guitars?

Seasons greetings to one and all.

I'm an infrequent visitor these days - somehow my life has become too hectic.

Anyway, I'm about to move into a brand new apartment which has an underfloor heating/cooling system that allegedly maintains a year round temperature of 20 degrees. Does anyone have any experience of a system like this and its effect, if any, on acoustic guitars?

Radiant heating systems should function overall like a traditional heating system. The most common types are forced hot water or electrical mesh. either way just keep in mind that the heat is being generated "in the floor" and the hot air rises. So it should in theory be warmer the lower you go. you may not want to keep your guitars on the floor maybe wall hangers or in case in a part of the apartment that doesn't have the radiant! I am not sure the radiant would even be a problem for floor level storage but its worth keeping an eye on. This kind of heating system may also effect humidity differently than a traditional heating system so keep an eye on that as well. I dont think you have anything to really be concerned about more of a this is a new environment and you need figure out the "quirks " of the system! Good Luck and Happy Holidays!

Archived