Gibson Brands Forums

My. First. Gibson.

Cougar

I proceeded to checkout. It's always a risk buying a guitar online, especially when it's a used guitar coming out of GuitarCenter. I'm just hoping my long line of luck with online purchases continues with this quite gorgeous-looking....

2006 Gibson Songwriter Studio Deluxe 12-string. Looks to have an ebony fretboard and bridge. Gotta have an abalone rosette! Although I've been drooling over it for the past week, I know just about nothing about it. GuitarCenter descriptions are notoriously worthless, nonexistent, or at most, brief. This one's condition is reportedly "great." I'm hoping so.

swsd01.jpg

swsd03.jpg

swsd04.jpg

I have bought from GC on line before, I always have them ship it to the local store.

1) Someone is there to receive it.

2) If there is shipping damage, as you open it at the store, there is no question as to who is responsible for said damage.

3) If it not what they said it was or you were mislead by the other store, again, your right there and they can deal with it right away.

She looks like a keeper for sure.

You done good - wish I'd done that well with my First Gibson .

I got my H'Bird TV from GC. Touted as 'mint'. Talked to the guy on the phone and had it shipped to my home. Absolutely a great transaction all round.

Congratulations! Some outstanding Christmas Carols just made for a 12er!

Nice !! Congrats on your purchase. No risk when buying from GC.

I bought my '08 J-45 from GC ...

Called the store and spoke to real nice guy.

He offered to grab the guitar for me and described it in detail while we were on the phone.

I ended up just making the deal by phone.

It arrived in perfect as described condition.

GC gets some cool items once in a while..

Good luck ... It looks like a beauty!!

Thanks to y'all! Yeah, I'm pretty excited. I've been downsizing but upgrading lately. And focusing on the 12-string. I'm thoroughly pleased with my jumbo Guild archback lam maple 12; let's see what this dread Gibson rosewood can do!

Nice !! Congrats on your purchase. No risk when buying from GC.

I bought my '08 J-45 from GC ...

Called the store and spoke to real nice guy.

He offered to grab the guitar for me and described it in detail while we were on the phone.

I ended up just making the deal by phone.

It arrived in perfect as described condition.

GC gets some cool items once in a while..

Good luck ... It looks like a beauty!!

Thanks, GP! I should have called like you did, but never got around to it. I did send an email to the store some days before, basically asking if I could get the guitar at the advertised price out the door (without tax or handling charge). After getting no response, I got a twitchy finger and pulled the trigger online with the tax and fees included anyway. It was still a pretty good deal if the guitar's in "great" shape.

THEN today I got a return email from the store's manager saying "Sure, I can do that deal!" msp_scared.gif I wrote back, hoping he can also do a refund on the amount over the advertised price. msp_w00t.gif

GC, yep I’ve purchased from them. Calling is good with online shops - just about all of the will let you haggle the price down.

You got a very nice 12 string. I have a 2008 also with ebony fretboard and bridge, and abalone rosette. The SW-12 is under-appreciated - plays great, sounds great.

Congrats and enjoy! . B)

Beautiful guitar! I’ve played a couple of SWD 12s and they have a lovely tone. My Hummingbird 12 is all the 12 string I’ll ever need, but if I didn’t have the good fortune to own that, I’d certainly look for an SWD 12.

Let us know how it is when it arrives!

Looks like a sweetheart. For me a 12 string is a necessity because there is a certain itch only it can scratch.

I decided to focus on 12-string some time ago. My JF30-12 is always the first to get played. Now I expect it'll have to share.

Maybe it is because I am Old School but I always think everybody's first Gibson should be a J-45.

That was my first thought too. Then I had an order in at MusicVilla for a burst J-15. But just when one came in, a used New Hartford F-50R popped up on ebay, and the seller accepted my offer, which was almost the same as a new J-15. So yeah, I've kind of leap-frogged the J-45....

For now.

Well, I'm afraid this baby is going back. There's a pretty significant center seam crack in the soundboard from the bridge to the bottom of the guitar. This was not visible in the photos, and of course wasn't mentioned in the ad. I'm guessing the trip across the country during the mini ice age we are currently experiencing was the cause, but I'd like to hear others' speculations about that.

Other than that, the guitar is freaking gorgeous. Damn that crack!

Well, I'm afraid this baby is going back. There's a pretty significant center seam crack in the soundboard from the bridge to the bottom of the guitar. This was not visible in the photos, and of course wasn't mentioned in the ad. I'm guessing the trip across the country during the mini ice age we are currently experiencing was the cause, but I'd like to hear others' speculations about that.

Other than that, the guitar is freaking gorgeous. Damn that crack!

Sorry to hear. Yup, tough weather to ship acoustic guitars. Many years ago I had a Guild D40 shipped from Gryphon Strings in California to the frozen Midwest. As soon as I opened the case I heard a ping and instantaneous a pickguard crack appeared. Of course at the time I knew nothing of waiting for the shipping box/case to acclimate to room temperature. I hope it all works out for you. Nice guitars those SW.

Damn that crack...

Yeah. I did wait more than 12 hours to open the box. No finish checking anywhere. Just that lousy crack. Took it over to the local GC and got a full refund without any trouble. Played a used SJ200. Yep, I sure like those. Also played a J15 and was surprised at the great sound coming out of it! My taste buds were kind of set on a Songwriter 12-string though. After a quick search, you don't see many of those around for under 2 grand.....

Archived