Gibson Brands Forums

Help with hunidifying my instruments

anzafrank

I didn't realize how dry my J-30, Mando, and Banjo had gotten with the dry weather we've had in So. Ca. even though I live close to a lake, and have a humidity gage, but the gage has been very wrong for a very long time.

Was wondering if there is a better-faster way of getting the moisture back in besides what I've done by putting in 2 or 3 home made humidifiers in each case. The tone has come back to the J-30, but the Banjo's 5th string is buzzing pretty good and wasn't before the crazy dry weather. Thanks.

I don't have a room humidifier, but that's the way to go if you've got all your stuff in one place.

I've been using this D'Addario Two-Way System in my Taylor 514 Nylon string, supposed to last a few months, I'm not so sure it will. They pretty trouble free, don't need to refill just replace the packs when they get hard

one for dual pouch the guitar one for the case where the headstock space is. They make a "restore" set that will help to humidify quicker.

There's also the Oasis Sound Hole humidifiers I have these in my J200 and other Taylor Jumbo. I use distilled water in these, which helps the pellets that hold the moister to last much longer, you do have to replace the pellets inside every year. they sell replenishing kits cheap - 7 bucks I think. they have to recharged (filled with water) a few times a week when in use and the guitars remain in the cases when not playing

I also put a sponge in a soap travel container that I drilled a bunch of holes in That sits in the case up by the head stock.

There's also the Dampit wicks you can use.

I know this is a topic of debate with some members, but to be mindful and take necessary precautions in places like New England where I live, is not time wasted IMO....

I do have one case that as a humidifier built in. Even though it comes with a hygrometer, I threw a better one is to see if it actually worked and it showed 46% humidity. But still not sure if I trust it.

If you are only talking about only 3 instruments you might look at the Bovida humidipacks. Planet Waves is also licensed to sell them. They are not cheap at about $20 a pop and then you have to buy refills (they will last up to around 3 months depending on how dry the conditions are). I do not believe they make them for any instrument other than guitars (they are designed to keep a 49% humidity level) but you might be able to use just the case humidifier (they come with one pouch for the soundhole and one that goes under the headstock). They are by far the best individual humidifiers I have yet to find.

I have three of them but because of the price, all the other kids get the old sponge in the plastic soap dish with holes drilled in it treatment.

Thanks for the good advice. Just incase any get back to this topic, I forgot to mention that I put a little bleach (few drops) on the small pieces of very damp terry cloth I used for the homemade humidifiers. I hope that won't hurt anything.

I don't have a room humidifier, but that's the way to go if you've got all your stuff in one place.

I've been using this D'Addario Two-Way System in my Taylor 514 Nylon string, supposed to last a few months, I'm not so sure it will. They pretty trouble free, don't need to refill just replace the packs when they get hard

one for dual pouch the guitar one for the case where the headstock space is. They make a "restore" set that will help to humidify quicker.

I'm not sure where I saw this (maybe in this forum), but when the packs get hard, you can put them in a small (dry) bowl which in turn floats in a bigger bowl half filled with water. and then put a cover over all of it. Over a couple days to a week, the paks will reabsorb the moisture and are useful again. I did try it and it worked. You want to be careful that the paks don't wear to the point of leaking what's inside out into your guitar, but you can recharge them. I live in NY and they don't last very long (4-6 weeks) in the winter time

Winding up the forum ?

HA! I know! sometimes, it's NOT hard to do right?

anyways.. I have never noticed a moldy odor from the sponge I have in a soap case. Distilled water would probably be the way to avoid it tho.

thx for the tip on the humidipacks, I agree with not seeming to last too long, I've been using them for a bout a month, and they are starting to get a bit hard, still usable tho but I can't see how they'll last 8 more weeks. 3 or 4 months as they advertise doesn't seem quite right in the north east where right now, it's very dry.

I know most here prefer to keep their acoustics in their cases when not in use. I prefer to keep them hanging on an interior wall in a 10' X 12' 'music room'. The main reason is so I have easy access to them. But a secondary reason is - I believe the humidity can be more stable in a room with wood floors, leather couches, etc. In other words, these items absorb humidity as well as the guitars when the humidity is going up, and release it when it's going down. I am able to check the humidity level 2 or 3 times a day, and intervene when it is outside of 40% - 60% with a room humidifier or de-humidifier. I'm guessing a small appliance over time is less expensive than the short-lived 'humid packs'.

I'm not sure this would work as well if we still lived in sub-tropical Miami, or in the dry heat of Massachusetts in winter.

Stumbled across this on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/SensorPush-Wireless-Thermometer-Hygrometer-Android/dp/B01AEQ9X9I/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1514425494&sr=8-10&keywords=hygrometer

A hygrometer in a smart box that transmits humidity readings to an app on your smart phone. And can send 'alerts'.

Would seem to make sense if you travel and have the ability to get someone to go to your home and turn on a de-humidifier or a humidifier - it if it gets out of whack. Or, if you have a smart phone app that ties in to your thermostat at home to try to use that to affect the humidity.

The D’Addario two-way Humidipak system has been very highly recommended to me to manage the over-humidification issues i’ve experienced recently with my Dove.

At the moment my issue is the house being too wet...I use a room dehumidifier which gets everything nicely down to 45-55% RH at all times, the only issue being that it costs a fortune to run in electricity-around £20 per week. The Humidipaks are £25 here and will reportedly last for two months before a refill is needed (refill packs are £20 for three) so it seems a far more cost effective option, combined with better home ventilation as the Spring warms the air.

Archived