Gibson Brands Forums

1990's Epiphone Les Paul Junbior DoubleCut

mihcmac

In the 1990's the Epiphone Les Paul Junbior DoubleCut was selling on musicians friend for about $90... Now, they average around $400 with the TV yellow ones going well beyond. These became a very popular because of the very long bolt on maple neck, notice the neck joins the body after the 22nd fret. Mine was built in Indonesia in the late 90's by Cort and the quality was not very good, most problems could fixed by careful reassembly. On the plus side the guitar plays like a demon on fire.....

[scared]

I have an Indonesian made '98 single cut LP Jr. that I bought back then. It took a little work to get it into good playing shape, most notably a fret level and a nut filing. But, after I did that, it played and sounded great. I've kept everything else stock on it, even the not-so-great tuners. The P90's they put in them back then were just right. I've had people ask me if I put a Gibson P90 in it.

I've looked around for another one at a good price, especially the DC model in yellow, but they're hard to find now.

Here's a short clip of mine. I double tracked it with the LP Jr on both the lead and rhythm.

I have an Indonesian made '98 single cut LP Jr. that I bought back then. It took a little work to get it into good playing shape, most notably a fret level and a nut filing. But, after I did that, it played and sounded great. I've kept everything else stock on it, even the not-so-great tuners. The P90's they put in them back then were just right. I've had people ask me if I put a Gibson P90 in it.

I've looked around for another one at a good price, especially the DC model in yellow, but they're hard to find now.

Here's a short clip of mine. I double tracked it with the LP Jr on both the lead and rhythm.

https://soundcloud.c...hone-lp-jr-clip

The Indonesian Juniors did seem to get the sound of the 50's P-90 right. People have often commented on the raw sound I got form it. I recently installed a Kent Armstrong P90 that has a hum cancelling coil in it, sounds pretty good. But the original P90 still seems to have some thing the new one doesn't. The Indonesian Juniors with P90's are all pretty rare, the DC's are really hard to find, but do show up from time to time. Also the Juniors with P90's hold their value much better than the ones with Humbuckers installed. The DC's Came in red, black white and yellow. The yellow one's seem to bring the most on resale, I think because they resemble the 50's Les Paul TV DC so closely. There is a yellow 97 DC on ebay with a starting bid of $459 that I am watching to see what it ends up going for.. It has 1 day left wiith no bids so far. [scared]

ebay: Yellow Epi LPJ DC

Archived