Gibson Brands Forums

J-15 sale price

olie

Add 90 bucks for customs if it's coming south of the border.

How can that be? It's a made in USA product being repatriated.

You don't need a NAFTA certificate of origin in any case for a shipment from Canada to the US unless the value exceeds US $2500.

Yeah, Nick. When I bought my new Guild M20, built in Oxnard Cali., the seller, Tundra Music in Toronto, had to certify made in USA, but there was a fixed customs surcharge as well, which I believe was a UPS thing. I seem to recall it would have not applied if the Canadian postal service was used.

My memory's a little sketchy except for the 90 bucks that flew out of my wallet. It was 56th off the line from the first Oxnard batch. I sold it after 3 months because it sounded too much like my L0. How's that for an endorsement?

Yeah, Nick. When I bought my new Guild M20, built in Oxnard Cali., the seller, Tundra Music in Toronto, had to certify made in USA, but there was a fixed customs surcharge as well, which I believe was a UPS thing. I seem to recall it would have not applied if the Canadian postal service was used.

My memory's a little sketchy except for the 90 bucks that flew out of my wallet. It was 56th off the line from the first Oxnard batch. I sold it after 3 months because it sounded too much like my L0. How's that for an endorsement?

So that would be a UPS charge, rather than a customs duty. It would appear that it would pay to shop around for a shipper in these cases. It sounds like UPS charged you to function as a customs broker, when it's possible none was needed. That's probably why shipping by Canada Post might have avoided the charge.

I've found this with international shipments before, not necessarily between the US and Canada

Guitar Center lists the J-15 for $1350. $1600 CDN would be $1260 USD. Kind of funny, $1260 + $90 customs fee is $1350. So why go to all that trouble when I could get the same deal today at my local Guitar Center. :)

I forget.... Is that what they were 6 months ago?

No idea, not interested in the J-15 myself. But I see Sweetwater is selling them for $1750 which is quite a difference. The Sweetwater J-15 is listed as a 2018 model, and looking again at Guitar Center, it appears to be a clearance sale on a 2016 model. $1750 seems like a lot of money for an "entry level" Gibson acoustic to me though.

What year is the Canadian J-15 and what is the difference between 2016 and 2018 models?

Archived