Gibson Brands Forums

Nice Stew Mac Tuner Deal

jedzep

I know most here get notifications from StewMac, but if you're trying to put period correct tuners on your old Gibsons this deal might bring a smile to your face.

http://www.stewmac.com/Closeouts/TonePros_Kluson_3and3_Tuners_with_Oval_Metal_Knobs_and_Press-fit_Bushings.html?lac_guid=186ca509-61ea-e711-80dc-ecb1d775572a&utm_campaign=M10259&utm_medium=email&utm_source=NPA&utm_content=M10259_C_20171226

I bought a set of the tonepros/kluson 3 on a plate for my 2012 J45tv and can attest that the tuners are great, and a direct replacement at least in the case of Guitars with three on plate tuners. The quality and tune ability of these machines is so much better than the cheaply made originals.

I bought a set of the tonepros/kluson 3 on a plate for my 2012 J45tv and can attest that the tuners are great, and a direct replacement at least in the case of Guitars with three on plate tuners. The quality and tune ability of these machines is so much better than the cheaply made originals.

Gibson stopped using Kluson tuners in the mid-1970s and the company closed its doors in the early 1980s. The originals were not cheaply made though. I have sets that have been on guitars for 80 some odd years and they still work fine. I always keep a few sets of 1940-1950 open gear and sealed gear tuners on hand.

Gibson stopped using Kluson tuners in the mid-1970s and the company closed its doors in the early 1980s. The originals were not cheaply made though. I have sets that have been on guitars for 80 some odd years and they still work fine. I always keep a few sets of 1940-1950 open gear and sealed gear tuners on hand.

I was referring to the set on the J45TV reissue, not original 40’s and 50’s parts. The tuners on the TV were in fact very loose and cheaply made. These TonePros/Klusons are much more precise and don’t slip or wiggle. Great tuners for the price. I’m not sure how they would compare to original klusons though. For the money they are a definite upgrade as far as 2012 stock 45TV tuners go.

I was referring to the set on the J45TV reissue, not original 40’s and 50’s parts. The tuners on the TV were in fact very loose and cheaply made. These TonePros/Klusons are much more precise and don’t slip or wiggle. Great tuners for the price. I’m not sure how they would compare to original klusons though. For the money they are a definite upgrade as far as 2012 stock 45TV tuners go.

Sorry. When you said "original" I thought you were referring to the Made in Chicago tuners. These were really fine tuners. Certain sets such as original Kluson Sealfast tuners from the 1950s can set you back quite a bit. I have never run across a set for less than $400 and have seen asking prices as high as $700.

Sorry. When you said "original" I thought you were referring to the Made in Chicago tuners. These were really fine tuners. Certain sets such as original Kluson Sealfast tuners from the 1950s can set you back quite a bit. I have never run across a set for less than $400 and have seen asking prices as high as $700.

that certainly makes a $40 set of TonePros seem like a heck of a bargain!

Archived