Gibson Brands Forums

Sold my j-50

Gibson Artist

Ouch, , , first reaction was - "well, here goes ThemisSal again" - sorry Sal, ounly joukin', , , or ehhh, it's actually true hehe.

Apart from that - what a shame. Especially if you have a close relationship with the over 40 years old guitar.

But we gotta deal with the real, don't we.

. . . . Bills take balls

. . . . . . . . . . The Acoustic Monk

When I was really low on cash and fought to pay a tax-bulge long ago, I never for 1 minute considered selling my Mart. D-35.

Guess not doin' it what was kept me up.

More than a few of us can sympathize. For many years the only thing I owned that people would pay cash money for were guitars and record LPs. The one that still haunts me was a National Duolian. Hard to find black painted one. Paid the exhorbitant sum of $250 for it in the early 1970s. A decade later, with an electric cut off notice staring me in the face. I sold it. I kept telling myself I had only bought guitars when I had the expendable cash so the instruments themselves were expendable. It usually worked, But not this time. I do guarantee though, it will make the next guitar seem all that much sweeter.

That really is a shame, but sometimes you have to make tough choices.

My 1974 J-50 followed me around for more than 40 years and I gave it to my Son in Law last year. So I couldn't sell it now even if I had to! But the good thing is, there always seem to be a lot of those 70's J-50's at good prices, so it shouldn't be too hard to replace when times get better. I hope that day comes soon for you.

One thing I've come to realize is that the are a ton of guitars out there, and with patience, you can almost always do as well or better than the guitar you let go of. In recent years, I've been able to rectify almost every bonehead instrument-related move I've ever made going back to the '70s.

It was the decision you needed to make at this time. At some point down the road, you'll make the correction & experience a revised level of satisfaction.

Sorry to hear that, but as usual, I'll poop all over yer pity party and tell you that there will be more and there will be better. There always are, that's why most of us aren't still using our first strat, les paul, tele, and crappy 70's martin. More will come along, when you can afford better, I promise. Hang in there.

rct

He might be gigging the electrics and need them and the amps for $. I've been there. He11, I was in my mid 40's before I got a decent acoustic.

And it's hard to sell a Taylor, and they're not worth much.

I'm with fortyyearspickin, he should have sold the Martin.

I had the same deal last month. Had to sell my ‘41 Reissue SJ100 to pay for car repairs. I LOVED that guitar, but couldn’t raise the cash any other way. Thankfully it went to a dealer friend of mine, so the option to buy it back exists if some sort of wildly unexpected good fortune falls on my head in the next few weeks 🙂 I keep looking at it on his website and pining like a pup locked out of the house 😂

For me it would have been a no brainer. It would have been bye-bye Taylor. But again that is just me. Not having played any of the guitars and not knowing the OP from Adam it is impossible to second guess his call.

I offered the Taylor but he didnt want it. i couldnt afford to wait, so i took the first person that had cash and rolled with it. He paid me my full price too so i could hardly say i was ripped off, i got the full 1100 i asked for.

Sorry to hear that, but as usual, I'll poop all over yer pity party and tell you that there will be more and there will be better. There always are, that's why most of us aren't still using our first strat, les paul, tele, and crappy 70's martin. More will come along, when you can afford better, I promise. Hang in there.

rct

id rather have sold my D-28, but nobody had that kind of cash so i went with what sold. i pretty much had all my gear up waiting for something to sell. You are right tho, i will get more great guitars, that one had such amazing mojo. i brought it to my friends band practice and everyone loved it. to me, the Norlin era gits are a little underrated, they get no love and so are the j-50s.

Archived