Gibson Brands Forums

Fair value of a j100 Xtra with Fishman Matrix pup

MorrisrownSal

The version you are looking at first appears in the 2003 catalog. The back & sides should be mahogany, as well as the neck.

The rather small '03 catalog photo gives you a glimpse of the mahogany sides & neck - but the specs are all goofed up, as they correctly added the crown inlays, but still listed the abalone rosette & maple body from the earlier version.

The version released in '99 had a maple body & mahogany neck, abalone rosette, plain & thin tortoise batwing pickguard, black binding, and two finish options. Anne's is the full natural body version, while mine has a natural top with a dark walnut stained body & a slight sunburst treatment on the sides.

Most versions prior to '99 had mahogany back & sides. The bubinga version came after the release of the one you're looking at.

I've had both a '96 in mahogany, as well as the 2000 maple model I currently own. In my experience, J-100s and J-150s (I've owned one of those, too) can out-perform many J-200s. I've played a lot of J-200s & have run into quite a few duds tonally, but every J-100 or J-150 I've played from this era has been very nice.

If the guitar is clean, I think $1,500 is a fair price. And as always with Gibson, we know anything is possible & I'll qualify the above by saying the body might turn out to be a different wood, but again, this one should be mahogany.

Check it out & get back to us!

I obviously don’t need the guitar, but it’s for sale at Russo’s. I was there yesterday morning, and this came in after I left. I will drive down later today. If it plays well, I may take it. Even I feel it doesn’t “fit me”, it would be an inexpensive rental.

They are asking well under what all your estimates are.

On second thought, snow is expected this morning - and it's an hour drive each way. I may take that as a sign. I should also get going on my three new year's resolutions: drop weight, stop smoking, and be less impulsive with guitars.

For those of you interested in the guitar - they told me last night its $1,000.

Have at it if you like; the guys are honest and they do ship. Phone number below. Ask for Scott or Howie.

U5uua72l.png

Oh man, for $1,000 this could be the best valued guitar in the US. I tell you Sal, if its between 2001 - 2005 it will be a beast and on par with my 2002 J-150. Dont fook it up ...

Oh, and it will sound amazing plugged in, especially with the Matrix pup.

Get the damn guitar Sal. If you dont like it you can sell it for $1200. There you go, done, thank me for it after.

You dont have a jumbo mate, and they are a totally different story, especially plugged in, you wont get such a blanced tone from either a slope or dread.

Just to remind you, this is straight through the Matrix into the AER.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTbPzxSR7Dw

I'm with Mark. You've dabbled with squares; why not a jumbo?

At the very least, we'd get to hear you put it through its paces (if it appeals to you in person). If you don't bond after first blush, you walk away on top.

Can only speak from very limited experience. My wife owned a 1994 J-100XTRA with electronics when I met her. Simply the worst sounding Gibson I had ever played. It disappeared pretty quickly when she got her hands on my 1960 J-200. She did get a killer deal on it though - she bought it slightly used at a small local store for $675. She sold it to another store for $900. This all, of course, was many years ago.

Ok,

I drove down.

The guitar is $1000. Excellent condition. Some scratches. a ding here or there, but overall amazing considering its a 14 year old guitar. 2003 Maple. Action is medium. Lots of saddle.

It didnt ring my bell. Very bright but with less bass than I thought. Admittedly I compared it to a J200 Maple in stock, and a J200 Sunburst Vintage.

Sounded great plugged in.

I didnt buy it. At the end I asked myself if I would be buying it because its got the sound I like, or because it's a great deal.

So I basically had a nice morning driving through the snow. Gulp.

:)

PS. But hey, Maybe I am growing up...

If someone is in NJ, or dont mind buying sight-unseen at this price, go for it. The guitar has no issues. In fact it made me feel how stupid I was for selling the cooked Bird.

Ok,

I drove down.

The guitar is $1000. Excellent condition. Some scratches. a ding here or there, but overall amazing considering its a 14 year old guitar. 2003 Maple. Action is medium. Lots of saddle.

It didnt ring my bell. Very bright but with less bass than I thought. Admittedly I compared it to a J200 Maple in stock, and a J200 Sunburst Vintage.

Sounded great plugged in.

I didnt buy it. At the end I asked myself if I would be buying it because its got the sound I like, or because it's a great deal.

So I basically had a nice morning driving through the snow. Gulp.

:)

PS. But hey, Maybe I am growing up...

If someone is in NJ, or dont mind buying sight-unseen at this price, go for it. The guitar has no issues. In fact it made me feel how stupid I was for selling the cooked Bird.

It warn't meant to be- but don't let it sour you from trying others that come your way. As you know better than most, they're not all the same.

Thanks for the vicarious fun, though. 😉

Archived