Gibson Brands Forums

j 29

jvi

I picked up a 2014 j29,nos, great features and nice wood, I am wondering what makes this model less expensive to build than a j45 standard.Seems like with "vintage" features ie bracing and wood it should cost more but they are a grand less. any info on cost saving on this model ?

At $2300 plus change when new I do not consider these guitars exactly cheap. As far as I can figure, the J-29 along with the J-15 and J-35 were basically part of a new Gibson marketing strategy. Somebody somewhere figured they could sell enough of these "cost effective" models to make it profitable. And Gibson needed this kind of line to remain competitive with Martin and others. The J-29 is, or at least was, a stock line guitar which meant it used the same body molds, bracing, neck carves and what have you found on a number of other Gibsons.

I think all of these models, J-15, 29 and 35 are the best acoustic guitars per dollar spent on the market today. The lack of a sunburst finish, I believe, is one reason Gibson can keep the price down, compared to for example a J-45. Walnut being a domestic wood is another reason for the J-15.

You could spend thousand of dollars more and get a perhaps fancier

looking guitar, but chances are it will only sound marginally better, if at all...

Lars

I had a j29

Didn’t float my boat at all

It was like a little lost guitar that didn’t know what it was supposed to be

I think the J29s are very variable...I’ve played several which have ranged from strident and VERY loud with splashy overtones to muted and very much like the “little lost guitar” that you describe.

On balance though, the best ones are better (to my ears) than the RW J45s I’ve had the good fortune to play over the years. I’ve never picked up a RW 45 that I’ve even remotely liked...different strokes for different folks though, i know several players who love their RW J45s.

I think the J29s are very variable...I’ve played several which have ranged from strident and VERY loud with splashy overtones to muted and very much like the “little lost guitar” that you describe.

On balance though, the best ones are better (to my ears) than the RW J45s I’ve had the good fortune to play over the years. I’ve never picked up a RW 45 that I’ve even remotely liked...different strokes for different folks though, i know several players who love their RW J45s.

My take is that New School Gibson Tone generally is brighter voiced. I am not sure if they are actually louder than what came before because he brightness creates the illusion of more volume. But I assume this was done as a nod to a modern audience. I would, however, think the rosewood body guitars would balance that out by giving you a bigger lower end. Thinking about it though, while my wife owns a Martin D-28 12, I have owned guitars with mahogany, maple, oak, walnut, and birch bodies but never one with a rosewood body.

My take is that New School Gibson Tone generally is brighter voiced. I am not sure if they are actually louder than what came before because he brightness creates the illusion of more volume. But I assume this was done as a nod to a modern audience. I would, however, think the rosewood body guitars would balance that out by giving you a bigger lower end. Thinking about it though, while my wife owns a Martin D-28 12, I have owned guitars with mahogany, maple, oak, walnut, and birch bodies but never one with a rosewood body.

I think you nailed it with the “brighter voice” observation...the J35 is definitely brighter than a 45 to my ears, and a couple of the 29s I’ve played are very much in that “is it loud or just bright?” Ballpark.

Personally I think the J15 is the best of the bunch-it has the big top end presence but the Walnut lends it a more complex midrange and woody bass. Really great guitars.

Archived