Gibson Brands Forums

2018 Les Paul Bridges

NighthawkChris

Ok so I notice little things like on the traditional and classic models how the saddle adjustment screws come from the factory facing the pickup instead of the tail. The standard and studio illustrate the screws oriented facing the tail piece. I just bought a classic and the bridge is as I described which is also how epiphone orients the bridge. It’s not a big deal to me as long as the saddles are filed correctly for the string gauges and radius is correct, but when I do intonation, obviously handled a tad bit differently than what I expected. Whatever on this. I am just curious as this seems intentional. Even the picture from the factory clearly shows the bridge saddle adjustment screws facing the bridge pickup. Perhaps this is the way the bridge was set up back in the day? Thanks in advance!

Ok so I notice little things like on the traditional and classic models how the saddle adjustment screws come from the factory facing the pickup instead of the tail. The standard and studio illustrate the screws oriented facing the tail piece. I just bought a classic and the bridge is as I described which is also how epiphone orients the bridge. It’s not a big deal to me as long as the saddles are filed correctly for the string gauges and radius is correct, but when I do intonation, obviously handled a tad bit differently than what I expected. Whatever on this. I am just curious as this seems intentional. Even the picture from the factory clearly shows the bridge saddle adjustment screws facing the bridge pickup. Perhaps this is the way the bridge was set up back in the day? Thanks in advance!

Hey Chris;

The ABR style bridges (with retaining wire) have the screws facing the pick up and the Nashville bridges (no wire) have the screws facing the tail. The reason for this escapes me at the moment.

Johnny

Guest Farnsbarns

It's all been said really. Just to add, it's a historic attribute as you suggested it might be.

It was changed to make intonation easier but the knock on effect is that people get all bent out of shape (that's become a new forum catch phrase, love it) about whether it's ok for you he strings to touch at the back.

As far as I remember the ABR1 bridge that had the wire also had slots in the top for the screws to be installed in, hench Gibson using the wire.

If you turned the pickup around. The string pressing on the back of the bridge wound have the string drop into the screw groove breaking the string.

Thus making ABR1 face the pickup

All my other bridges wouldn't allow the screw to be installed in the saddle first then installed in the bridge, othe bridges need the saddle installed into the bridge first then screw inserted into the screw hole to the saddle

Just one historical tid-bit which I feel should be mentioned;

When the ABR-1 was introduced in very late '53 there was no retaining wire; this detail was added in 1962 to prevent saddles falling out and becoming lost if a string breaks.

Hence, in recent times, 1954-1960 LP R-I's have non-wire ABR-1s fitted.

Pip.

It's all been said really. Just to add, it's a historic attribute as you suggested it might be.

It was changed to make intonation easier but the knock on effect is that people get all bent out of shape (that's become a new forum catch phrase, love it) about whether it's ok for you he strings to touch at the back.

Basically as said above in so many words...people see the consistency of the ABR and todays historics maybe miss the ABR-to modern connection, course then they expect that for whatever price and so forth.

The bridges can simply be machined to different specs since usually these are minor tolerance issues. The entire concept had to be to keep the strings from jumping out of the saddles when bending. If the guitar is playing right -intonated etc, I dont see the difference but cosmedic appeal. If you apply the same concept to a compensated stop tail or a Tele the entire idea of a specific break angle and so forth go out the window.

The TOMs were problematic with the traps also as saddle rattle became a minor issue on the unwound Gs.

Interesting how the pickups are mounted though in the new design.

Just one historical tid-bit which I feel should be mentioned;

When the ABR-1 was introduced in very late '53 there was no retaining wire; this detail was added in 1962 to prevent saddles falling out and becoming lost if a string breaks.

Hence, in recent times, 1954-1960 LP R-I's have non-wire ABR-1s fitted.

Pip.

Crossed posts, I think the retaining wire and screws were placed to the front for appearence. You know that same appearence with the stop tail heights. :) Course that made intonation on a strung LP more time consuming than to the rear. imho .

...I think the retaining wire and screws were placed to the front for appearance...

That could well be the reason, Golden; I really don't know for sure.

It might also be that with the screw-heads to the rear it was very difficult to get the head of a screwdriver in to adjust the saddle position because of the close proximity of the heads to the downward-angled strings. With the Nashville bridge the screws are located sufficiently below the string-path that this difficulty doesn't arise.

Pip.

That could well be the reason, Golden; I really don't know for sure.

It might also be that with the screw-heads to the rear it was very difficult to get the head of a screwdriver in to adjust the saddle position because of the close proximity of the heads to the downward-angled strings. With the Nashville bridge the screws are located sufficiently below the string-path that this difficulty doesn't arise.

Pip.

I dont know could be, I understand the difference in screw height but to me its easier to adjust the rear TOMs, nevertheless imo they merely need to change the travel hole/top of the saddle distance- done deal. Or drop the bridge down for appearance clearly its not a tone issue top wrapping, compenated bridges etc. Sustain trade off with a trap tail to an inbetween trade off it seems to me.

Doesn't matter where they face, especially on a new guitar, you place it the way you want it and let the strings groove out the saddles or put one in yourself with a jewelers file.

Same gauge, usually same brand of strings and you won't touch those screws for so long you'll forget why you have them on the side you have them.

I've never understood the obsession with something you should, if you know what yer doin, rarely have to touch.

rct

Look Nighthawk..

I've been following this thread.. and I've read all the answers..

I don't need to re-quote and 'nic-pic' everything you said..

you will find that in certain circumstances that LP styled guitar's (Gibson included) that sometimes intonation is hard to get (esp on the G string) and you run out of travel on the ABR-1 Bridge (hence Nashville's bridges longer saddle travel for intonation)

You may need to turn the saddle around anyways..

because if you notice.. one side of the saddle is thick and the other is flush flat (yes one side has a bevel as well, but that doesn't mean you can't turn it around for more intonation travel)

just trying to give you more information than you need at this time I guess.

try to be nice.. I'm not picking on you.. (yet)

Sincerely suggest you don't internalise all the responses you get or you will end up one of these folks who thinks anything less than complete on-topic responses and agreement is some kind of attack on your manhood/sanity/integrity. Once the thread starts you don't own it and it will go places where people will question things everyone has said - please don't feel the need to justify the minutiae and explain motivation of every detail ...for your sanity's sake Chris....the guys that start like that are often the ones who blow a gasket and go out in a blaze of fire (self immolation mainly) [thumbup]

Archived